How to dissemble a Bolt Action Bullet pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoAnn Duggan

I am fairly new at pen turning and I bought the dissembling kit and have no problem using it on 7mm slimline pens. But has anyone dissembled a Bolt Action Pen? I have tried and had no luck getting it apart without destroying it. Please help as I need to take apart another one and I really do not want to ruin this one.

thank you

JoAnn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RickLong

I am fairly new at pen turning and I bought the dissembling kit and have no problem using it on 7mm slimline pens. But has anyone dissembled a Bolt Action Pen? I have tried and had no luck getting it apart without destroying it. Please help as I need to take apart another one and I really do not want to ruin this one.

thank you

JoAnn

Hi JoAnn,

Dissembling clicks can be tricky without breaking the click mechanism sometimes.

For the bolt action kits, I generally will slide the bolt to the top position (retracted), then use a punch that will just fit inside the tube (~3/8punch). I then tap the back off.... If it is the complete pen you need to dissemble the back first with a punch that fits through the "nib". Then remove the front section (nib) with the 3/8th punch...

Hope this helps!

Rick

JoAnn Duggan

Thank you Rick. I did it and it came out without any damage. I really appreciate all the help and willingness to share that pen turners give to each other.

JoAnn

Last edited:

Dorno

This may not help you much but I always tell anyone hat i teach how to make pens on any sort that I put vasoline (petrolium jelly) inside both ends of the tube to any pen I make because it makes it easier to push the parts in when need but in truth the real reason is because it also makes it alot easier to tap the parts back out should you make a mistake and bouy I make plenty of them.

Cheers Ian

RickLong

This may not help you much but I always tell anyone hat i teach how to make pens on any sort that I put vasoline (petrolium jelly) inside both ends of the tube to any pen I make because it makes it easier to push the parts in when need but in truth the real reason is because it also makes it alot easier to tap the parts back out should you make a mistake and bouy I make plenty of them.

Cheers Ian
Interesting Ian.. will have to give that a try too...

Rick

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

Cheers Ian
Keep in mind that if you put anything on the inside of the tube so the parts press in / com out easier, they could also come out easily in the customers hand.
I take the opposite approach and use blue locktite on mine to keep the components in. It only takes a few smart taps with a hammer on the appropriate size transfer punch to get any component out.

Top Bottom