how to disassemble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsnyder

I turned my first Baron yesterday and today. The problem, I messed up the assembly of the cap. I left out the black center band coupler. I have already marred up the center band trying to remove it with needlenose pliers. A rag was no help.What will be the best way to remove the center band without marring the cap itself? TIA

Darrin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Drive the cap off with a punch then turn it around and set the punch on the rim of the CP/coupler and drive it out. Sound's like you will be buying a new kit to get a new CB for this one. Sorry. At least you learned this at post 2 and not 2000.[:D]

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />Dont feel bad I actually did the same thing with my first one and used a punch to drive it appart.

Me too!!! I found some drill bits of the right size and used them as punches. Word of warning: The flutes on the side of drill bits are sharp! DAMHIKT

skewzdust

I hate to admit it but I did a similar thing this weekend. Murphy was visiting, this was only one of many screw-ups. I left the black plastic threaded coupler out of the cap, the one that makes the top screw on. It wasn't shown in the drawings, only in the text, and I tend to look at just the drawings. I tried the drill bit but I couldn't seem to make it work for me. I ended up cutting the coupler in half so that it would fit in the cap and CA'd it in place. I think I'll need to get the transfer punches before Murphy returns.

Chris Hare

I have done that more than once. You do not have to take the cap apart to fix it. Turn some corian to the size of the upper tube. Use a bit to push out the clip and cap(?). Then use the corian to push the coupler in from the top down. Then repress the clip and cap(?) back in. When you do it this way you will not damage the finish. [:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />
<br />Dont feel bad I actually did the same thing with my first one and used a punch to drive it appart.

Me too!!! I found some drill bits of the right size and used them as punches. Word of warning: The flutes on the side of drill bits are sharp! DAMHIKT

Put the bits in backwards. Tap on the cutting end with a brass hammer. Works good. Or so I hear. [:p][:I]

J. Fred Muggs

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />

Put the bits in backwards. Tap on the cutting end with a brass hammer. Works good. Or so I hear. [:p][:I]

I use a plastic head hammer. But, be sure to watch your hand and fingers near the drill flutes. I, too, understand how Jim knows they are sharp.[:I]

MDWine

Those punches are the best, you can usually get a punch that fits perfectly into the barrel to push out the CB. It sounds like everyone messes up their first Baron! I don't feel so alone now!

dsnyder

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think for now I am going to just set it aside and come back to it later.

Darrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom