How did you learn to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

High school Industrial Arts Class with Mr. Arthur Lloyd..1970/71....a very laid back shop teacher.....I wish he was still around so I could thank him for giving me direction in what became my career( Woodworking/cabinet maker) and show him some of the things folks are turning these days.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I knew of a person that made pens in 2003. So I did some research, and bought a my first lathe and some steelex tools. You tube was not in my life at that time, but VHS tapes and books were. I had three or four tapes and almost wore them out trying to learn. I broke a lot of blanks. I made a lot of slimlines, for several years, then I found this site and off I went....I did a lot of flat work which I had some help with, but I had two jobs and not much time to work on projects...it would take me months to finish a bookcase or nightstand. I wanted to make pens so I could finish something along the way.

I have mentored several friends since then, I had some folks helped me along my way in my fulltime professions and I figured I would "pay it forward", in just a small way.

Last edited:

SpecialV4213

Mostly self-taught. Watching videos gave me the directions but I think hands on is the best way to learn. I'm totally addicted now.

pshrynk

My brother made four pens for the four of us brothers in our family when the second of us was dying of cancer. I've carried that thing around with me ever since. I've spent hours talking with him about what he does and finally decided to take the plunge very recently. Facetime is valuable, as is Messenger. I've also read a lot of the stuff here on the forum. I think I learn something new every day that I stand in front of the lathe. Like my brother says, "It's crack."

Totally self taught and it wasn't easy. I can tell you from experience that I've bounced a few table legs off my chest and chin, launched tools across the shop and generally scared myself half to death. Of all my tools the lathe gets the most respect from me. I now wear a full face shield, padded apron and a headlight. No gloves for obvious reasons and if the lathe or what I'm turning makes the slightest weird noise I'm the first off the tool rest and ducking or hiding behind something. I even use a face shield on my pen lathe but I feel much more secure knowing that probably nothings going to fly off of the mandrel.

Mariner1

Was off work waiting to have shoulder surgery and stumbled on the woodcraft store in Knoxville. Took there pen class and got hooked. Now I need to get my shop open again as I stopped turning when my mom passed 2 years ago. I have been promising all the guys on the tug boat pens so I better get going.

OZturner

A most interesting Thread.
I was seconded to the USA in 1994, for 13 months, which was then extended to 3 years. In 1997 I was called back to Australia, to work on our International Y2K Problem In 1999, while in the UK installing the necessary Soft ware, our International Company was bought out by another International Organisation,
In 2000 after having Installed the New Software in the UK, and Australia, and my being on the Corporate Staff, I was considered superfluous, and I was retrenched.
I was 63 years of age, not certain if I could afford to retire, on my Pension Plan, and /or at 63 could I get a Job?
Long story short, I did get a part time Employment, and then discovered that I didn't need to work, as my Pension Plan, was satisfactory.

I had a long held desire to take up Wood Turning.
The Education System, provides a training system for a host of activities, in what they call TAFE, that is "Technical, And Further Education" I signed up for the Wood Turning Course which was one night once a week, for 13 weeks, at the Local Boy's High School.

The Instructor, was also a Member of the Wood Turners Guild (Hornsby Region).
I joined and attended the Monthly Meeting and Wood Turning Demonstration.
These would be by the Convener, or a Guest Demonstrator.
Over the Years, I attended many residential Turning symposiums , where numerous International, and Local Demonstrators would run sessions over the three Days.
Reflecting now, and in spite of the numerous Sessions I have attended over the years, there is always something New to Learn or Try.
I now Instruct in Wood Turning for the Hornsby Woodworking Men's Shed, where I make Pen Turning one of the items they undertake and learn how to make and Finish, as a part of their training. This is proving very popular, now we have a dedicated Turning day, where the Shed is exclusively for Wood Turning, on these days the 6 Lathes are kept spinning.
I am extremely happy in passing on some of what I have acquired over the years.
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom