How did you learn to turn? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Photos: 0

Letís add to the subject of how you learned and who/what inspired you. I have 2friends that inspired me.... but the items PSI started to come out with really gave me a push.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

I bought a ShopSmith 25 years ago and eventually set it to lathe mode and jumped in. I later took a pen turning class at WoodCraft and have been hooked ever since.

tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default How I learned

Good to hear from someone in Maryland. My wife and I are both from Baltimore but decided to settle in Texas after we retired from the Army. It is sad to hear that the club that you visited was not very helpful to a new pen turner. I would think that a local club would be where people with a common interest would go to share with each other and learn from one another. Like so many others, I took the class that Woodcraft offers and from there it was trial and error. Wasn't much You Tube when I first started but there is a lot out there now. Since I started I have probably turned 5000 pens or more. Even after that many, you still have days where you can't get it right. One thing that I like about IAP is that there are so many people that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences. Hang in there, rely on IAP and don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.

Hoover015 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Photos: 4

From the excellence that I see posted on IAP, I would say I have not learned but am learning every day. Thanks to all of you good teachers.

My journey started about 45 years ago with some guidance from my grandfather then a lot of trail and error by spell over the years.

Then when I started teaching my son I learned a lot. A fast way to learn is to try and teach someone else. Makes you do your research.
Talltim is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Photos: 2

Just naturally turned over in my crib at about 2 days old.

Seriously, I bought a Shopsmith at the State Fair back in I think 1997 or 98. Watched the videos that came with it and made a gavel to use as HOA President. Also bought a slim line kit at Woodcraft when I bought the Zebra wood for the gavel. Still have and carry that pen on weekends.
Mr Vic

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Photos: 226

Originally Posted by WriteON View Post
Letís add to the subject of how you learned and who/what inspired you. I have 2friends that inspired me.... but the items PSI started to come out with really gave me a push.
I actually got into turning for two reasons. My older brother sent me a beautiful desert ironwood pen a few years ago and that was the spark. I've always loved woodworking but that was the first time I ever considered turning, but I didn't take the plunge yet. Just over two years ago I joined Badger & Blade and took to wetshaving. I loved using a badger brush to lather up and decided I wanted to make my own shaving brushes. For Christmas 2 years ago I bought a HF 10" lathe and cheap set of tools and started making brushes, a couple months later I bought a Sorby penturning set and started making pens. One only needs so many shaving brushes, and the ladies at my job are much happier with a pen as a gift than a badger brush!
TattooedTurner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Photos: 1

I built a shop and my wife said to fill it with what I needed. Decided I needed a lathe. So I did about 6 months worth of research into which one I wanted. Went to the Woodcraft in San Antonio and talked with a friendly salesman who gave me a good sales pitch on the Jet 1642. Went home and did a little more research and decided that was for me. I'm closer to Ft Worth so I went there and ordered my lathe. Signed up for a beginning wood turning class that was scheduled for the night before I was scheduled to pick up my lathe. Took the class. The instructor walked me through the store and showed me what tools I'd need to get started. The next day, went back picked up the lathe on the pallet, the tools I'd picked out the night before, a Jet 8" low speed grinder, and a wolverine system. When home with a brochure about the Ft Worth turning club. A month later I was there at the meeting and have been learning ever since.
MTViper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
Photos: 5

Industrial Arts class as a freshman in HS (1962).
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

I took a class at Woodcraft to see if I'd like it. I did and found this place where I find information. It also fit well with my other hobby - buying tools. I started out with a bunch of Slimelines that I built, deconstructed, and remade many times. I got an inexpensive box of different woods to use while practicing to see how different woods looked. I went through a lot of frustration learning CA finishing and finally found a technique that works for me. I've enjoyed pen making and learning to use a lathe. I also like to do small projects. I've been casually working my through A Lesson Plan for Wood Turning (James Rodger) over the last few years.
WoodKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

My father was a Master Machinist and I learned from standing behind the tail stock on the Clausing as just watching for days and days. I lost a bet with him for lunch. He said he could eyeball a piece of steel within 2 thousand and I bought lunch. It was 1 thousand not two.
If you ever see any movies about the USS Alabama he built the 8' tall situation board.
Common sense is a most uncommon thing. Twain
TurtleTom is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads