How did she do this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I was contacted by a customer who had purchased a pen for his wife approximately 2 years ago. He said that a "silver trim ring" had come off of it. I told him I'd take a look and I received it today.

My question is this: How is it even possible for the decorative ring to come off of the nib adapter of a Baron without first removing the nib adapter? Neither the ring or the nib adapter are cracked or misshaped. The adapter could not be pulled out by hand. When I knocked it apart to reinstall the ring it seated just as it is supposed to do. I really don't know how she did this LOL. :confused:

Attachments

• Baron.jpg
    Baron.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 404
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
odd that they'd take it apart, and then try to reassemble it. Is it possible that it worked its way out (either as a result of a hit, or other methods), and they forgot the chrome trim ring when they reassembled?

Other than it being accidentally knocked out, and then reassembling by putting the threading in first, I can't see how it would happen...You did show them how to change the refill, I presume? :biggrin:

mike4066

I'd have to guess that they twisted / pulled the nib screws out of the body with the cap, then put it back on and found the ring on the floor afterwards.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
my guess: The pressure from the spring on the nib slowly worked the nib loose. Someone removed it and pushed it back together, THEN realized he forgot the trim ring.

So, when you reassemble, add some locktite so the nib doesn't work loose again. And, while you have the pen, completely disassemble the body half and Locktite the other end too.

FWIW,
Ed

Typed at the same time as the two above--same thought

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Good explanations. It had to be disassembled then reassembled but I just can't figure out why.

Locktite has been applied

edstreet

This is quite easy to do with many of the pen kits on the market today. I have seen a hand full of these happen at the most. I have been able to get non-assembled kits to do this as well.

Rick_G

I have had the same thing happen. Made a wedding pen for a friend and when I went to sign the book the nib end was half way out. Figure some brain dead gorilla pulled the cap off instead of unscrewing it and when he realized what he had done tried to push it back in and only got it halfway.

jsolie

You either have a very fidgety customer who picked and picked at it until it came apart, or they tried to pull the cap off and the reassembly didn't go quite right. I'm wondering if Red Loctite is the answer for this. Or a wee spot of epoxy...

TLTHW

I have a Baron FP that I use daily. I can tighten the cap down tight enough that it starts to pull the nib adapter away from the body over time. I noticed it while trying to figure out why the trim ring was loose. I haven't managed to pull it all the way apart but I do end up pressing it back in.

vakmere

I have a Baron FP that I use daily. I can tighten the cap down tight enough that it starts to pull the nib adapter away from the body over time. I noticed it while trying to figure out why the trim ring was loose. I haven't managed to pull it all the way apart but I do end up pressing it back in.

Same here.

Top Bottom