How deep is too deep?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

I just finished making three .300 Weatherby Mag. pens,the trans.had to go in really deep,only about 5/8" sticking out to put the antler top on.They feel pretty secure,but am I missing a trick to get more trans to protrude,or is there such an animal as a longer 7mm trans?I guess I could have shaved a little off the cases bullet end,but don't have much to play with.Thanks for any replys. John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mac

I make 300 win mag and they do go quit deep. I am one that will not trimm the brass on the end, as I sell to mostly hunters.I have also noticed that some trannys are made different with the catches futher up on the transmission.

CaptG

I make a lot of cartridge pens, and you do have to go deep with the mags, but I have had no problems with them holding the tops.

Sylvanite

300 Weatherby Magnum is a big cartridge. The COAL (cartridge overall length) with a drilled-out bullet should be around 3.450". Compare that to 30-06 Springfield which I seat to 3.150", or even 300 Winchester Magnum at 3.250". If you want to use regular 7mm parts with a standard cross-style refill, you're going to have to seat the transmission very deep.

That is one reason I prefer to use a cigar pen kit on magnum calibers. Another is that the clip/finial diameter is a better match. My 300 WinMag and 338 WinMag caliber pen kits are based on the cigar pen. For 300 Weatherby, I'd also recommend switching out the parker-style refill with a Pilot G3 refill. The G3 is longer so you won't have to recess the transmission as far.

Regards,
Eric

papNal

300 Weatherby Magnum is a big cartridge. The COAL (cartridge overall length) with a drilled-out bullet should be around 3.450". Compare that to 30-06 Springfield which I seat to 3.150", or even 300 Winchester Magnum at 3.250". If you want to use regular 7mm parts with a standard cross-style refill, you're going to have to seat the transmission very deep.

That is one reason I prefer to use a cigar pen kit on magnum calibers. Another is that the clip/finial diameter is a better match. My 300 WinMag and 338 WinMag caliber pen kits are based on the cigar pen. For 300 Weatherby, I'd also recommend switching out the parker-style refill with a Pilot G3 refill. The G3 is longer so you won't have to recess the transmission as far.

Regards,
Eric

Thanks all,Eric I appreciate your info on the cigar components ,If i'm unfortunate enough to have to do another mag. I'll definitely give your method a try. The Pilot G3 refill sounds good too. John

Top Bottom