How close to "perfect" are your pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vthowe

Although I've only turned 20 or so pens, I've not found the key to "perfection"... however, I'd make a bet that as most of you, some of the finished blanks that ended up in the trash or into a daily use pen the average person or shopper probably wouldn't notice any flaws.

Seems I always end up w/ a few small scratches that didn't come out or some other small blemish that again most folks probably wouldn't notice.

Just curious what level most of your pens are on a scale of 1-10 as to 10 being "perfect". I'd say mine are generally in the 8ish range.

Those selling a lot of pens, have you noticed anything in terms of shoppers and perfect pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

We all turn perfect pens.......You don't??? I have the first pen I ever turned and I can see how far I have come....I have learned ALOT and my pens are much better now...

wiset1

I would say that mine are about 80% out of a 100%. There's ALWAYS room to improve and I know that I need a wheel to polish my pens up after the whole wet sanding through the grits. Even with the scratch remover I think it could be better. Maybe 80% is being too kind to myself ;-)

Mapster

I have found that it greatly varies. I can do the same procedure for my pens and one will be a 9 and one can be a 6, depends on a lot of things. Also, sometimes my 9's are not sold very quickly, I have a few 9's not moving an inch. But then again, not as many as the low numbers. As I see it, there is no "perfect", there is always room to expand and improve

Scott.tudhope

Mine are generally far from perfect. But I tend to be pretty anal about things like that. My wife and friends think they are perfect though. I think they're just obligated to say that so my confidence grow.

Overall I think my pens are fair to good and I still have a long way to go.

woodgraver

I think striving for perfection is a lofty goal, but I made a bowl that was perfect except for one tiny little chip that came out in the final stages of finishing. I patched it up the best I could. I gave it as a gift to a friend of mine, of course I immediately told her the sad story of the chip and to this day that is what she loves most about the bowl. If someone wanted a perfect pen, they would buy one made by a machine. I think the allure of our pens lies in the imperfections. The fact that you can tell it was hand made and unique. It really is silly for us to expect perfection from ourselves, we should all be proud of the time and effort we put into making something to pass on to others.

Ambidex

I haven't turned the perfect pen...but in 4 months I'm very proud of the improvement I've achieved..I remember being very proud of my first couple slims..still have and love to look at them and be shocked how fast you can learn in the vortex:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I sold a lot of pens.

Early in my exhibiting life, someone pointed out a scratch in one of my pens.

That was the ONLY time I heard that. Does that mean the rest were perfect? I think not. But they were good enough that a potential buyer would not find any flaws.

If they find a flaw in ONE, you will not sell them a pen. So, check the pens BEFORE you show them.

FWIW,
Ed

GrantH

You've not made a perfect pen until it's made from a bourbon or scotch barrel. I plan on making that one this weekend! I can't wait!

reddwil

I can only speak for myself. But I try to make every pen to the best of my ability. Pen making in it self is a constant learning process. There are so many options, methods and things to try. My gosh just look at the talent on the site. I'm lucky if I can make constant pens that I would consider in the 7-10 range. Seems every pen I make I can always find something that I could have done better or different. As you said most people would never notice, maybe than other turners. As your skills and knowledge improves so will you quality. I look back at some earlier pens from when I started and think " what the heck was I thinking". One of the great things I like about the forum,is that you can get honest opinions from fellow turns who do make the 10's. I have learned more from that alone than anything else. Do I want to make perfect 10's every time...Sure. Will I ever be able to, probably not.

OOPS

Even though I have made quite a few pens now, my lathe skills are still not up with most people. However, the great pen maker, Russ Fairfield once told me that lathe skills will improve for everyone over time. He maintained that 95% of the pen making process was the finish. He suggested that I practice finishing---not making pens---but finishing, dowels if need be--- until my finishing was top notch. I took this to heart and must say that only other pen makers can look at my pens and see small imperfections in the lathe work. Others just stare at the shiny finish!

If you're having trouble matching the blank to the hardware, then Russ suggested turning the blank but leaving it a little proud, then sanding down to the bushings. This helped me quite a bit, as I still have more control sanding with my fingers than using a tool.

andrewleeheck

I can completely relate to not yet having attained "perfection." This becomes a problem when my compulsive nature forces me to obsess over removing "that one annoying scratch," filling that "one tiny air bubble," or trimming that "one tiny bit of CA flash;" this obsession usually leads me to worsen the problem by continuing to mess with it. One time in particular this led to the bright idea of using a blowtorch--don't ask.

Bottom line: you have to learn to be satisfied with your best effort. When you figure out how to do that, please give me a call--I could use some learnin'.

Andrew

Last edited:

PenMan1

Not nearly as close as I'd like to be, likely ALMOST as close as my current skills allow.

It's funny that my skills seem to improve with the advancement of the total membership here!

Jgrden

About 75%. Lately there has been ample time to reflect on the final product. One thing that has helped me (others already found this out) is focus on one pen at a time and do the best you can do on that one item. This has produced some really nice pens.
Now that being said, I am trying to complete a twenty order pen and how do you make sure each pen is done exactly how you want it to be? Guess we will find out.

vthowe

Thanks all...this all pretty well sums up what I suspected...we all aim for the moon and hope to land in the stars!:) Though I think I've seen a few here that made it to the moon! I'm probably more into perfection than some but agree it's a handmade piece...

for sure the finish is the key.

...now on to taking good pictures for me to show you some of my pieces.

Cheers!

redwd707

Ive noticed that as my skills grow, my standards get higher. I would imagine that just goes on forever. Its fun tho.:tongue:

PenMan1

The only real barometer I have of "perfect" is that my humility bucket of unsuccessful attempts doesn't fill up quite as quickly as it did several years ago.

I'm making considerably more pens now than I did back then. Either I'm getting better or I've lowered my standards:)

Robert111

If I can see or feel anything wrong, I don't sell it. If I don't want to repair it right away (and I usually don't), I put it away and tackle it in a week or two, usually when I'm not motivated to get anything new started. Then it feels good to get the bug(s) out of the little bast**d and put it up for sale.

A perfect pen is in the eye of the beholder - with that said I can find something in all my pens that I want to improve on - One of my toughest critiques is my better half, she can see the small imperfections that most don't. If I get one past her I am doing good. When I point a blemish out to her that she did not see I will never get it past her again. I like a challenge and the day I complete a perfect pen I will have to try something different...don't see that happening soon..

kovalcik

I turned the PERFECT pen last week. Had it on the lathe, perfect finish, not a scratch, CA layered on perfectly, level even with the bushings, could not be better. First time EVER to get something this good. When I went to take it off the mandrel it was stuck to the bushings so I took out my razor knife to score it. The knife immediately slipped and put a slice in the pen. So much for perfection.

tbird1957

Perfect Pen....
I think not! I always make the highest quality pen I can make. Some seems to come out better than others. Different woods, different acrylics all have different results. I have sold pens rated from 5 to 8 or 9. I have never had a perfect pen. I would never sell someone a pen that I would not like to own myself. I now carry a Cigar Pen made from Cocobolo. It has a couple of smuges around the top cap. Could have sold it many times, but it's mine flaws and all.

Top Bottom