How canI save $

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

I have developed my skill to the poin where I am ready to advance beyond the cheap pen kits and blanks. I really want to turn pens of the highest quality. My desire is to sell enough pens to pay for my hobby, nothing more. What things can I do to save some green but still produce a quality product?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

purchase your products in bulk. A lot of manufacturers have a mix and match programs, but you sometimes meed to buy a total of 50 at a time to get best or close to best pricing (usually they need 100 or more total for best pricing) Then you can get say $20 kits for $15 or less. That is the best way other than keep turning and eventually you will get faster, that is the other way to save $

glycerine

Do you make mostly wood pens, do you do acrylic, do you cast? There are many ways to save money, but are you trying to save money when you purchase "kits"? Or do you mean save money by getting cheaper tools, etc.?

Willee

Quickest way I know to double your money is to fold it once and stick it back in your pocket.

Carry at least three pens with you and show then to everyone you meet.
Dont even tell them they are for sale.
When you tell them you make pens the ones that will buy will ask if you sell them.

If you turn wood buy boards not blanks. Then you can choose how to cut them to take advantage of the grain. I'm not sure if burls are the same way or not. It will cost a little more up front but will save a lot of money in the long run.

Russianwolf

look for group buys, and participate when they happen.

For instance, I have it on good authority that their will be a group buy of WoodPenPro.com products late next month.

It will turn kits that start at $9.25 if you buy them individually, into $7.01 in the group buy (25% off). Since we will all be buying, we can hit the 100 kit pricing on many of the kits available.

but Ed is right, if you don't spend the money, you save a lot more. Of course my wife's logic is the other way, the more you spend at discount prices, the more you save. :confused: I still haven't quite figured out how it works, and usually get yelled at when I try to follow her example.

SDB777

I have developed my skill to the poin where I am ready to advance beyond the cheap pen kits and blanks. I really want to turn pens of the highest quality. My desire is to sell enough pens to pay for my hobby, nothing more. What things can I do to save some green but still produce a quality product?

Do you have the ability to get some of your own wood?
You'll be looking for crotches and burls, and maybe something that's spalted in there too!

Scott (getting your own saves big) B

BigguyZ

As Ed said- the easiest way is to quit!

If you're going to sell at a show, there's a lot more than just the cost of the pens. Through a website- again there's a lot more you need (website, hosting, camera, lighting). Even if you try to sell to a store, you'll have to invest in a display case at least (unless they will let you keep your product in their own case). So just about any way you go, you'll need to account for more than just pens.

Bat as far as pens go, I agree with what many have said already. Buy in bulk. Buy as much as you can when things are on sale- Woodcraft would regularly clear out acrylic blanks for $1-$2 each. I have over a hundred of their blanks, and have all I will ever need form them. It's a cheap way to get a good stock of styles and colors- and once I sell them I can use the profit to buy better quality acrylics and materials (custom poured blanks that individuals and vendors sell, ebonite, celluloid, casin).

I absolutely agree about buying boards. Look at the clearance racks at your local store. You can take one $20 board of bocote or cocobolo and get $50-$60 worth or blanks had you purchased them as blanks. And you can then go to the next level and diagonal or cross cut. You can plan which part of the board has the best figure. If you just slice it up straight into strips, you'll get more volume, but less quality.

For burls, if you have a place where you can buy a block, go for it. Rockler used to have wood from local distributors, but they're dropped most of their burl stock. But before they did I used a 20% off coupon and bought a block of Ambonya burl. Great deal. I was able to get about 20 blanks out of it, and I think it cost me about $30 (I thought that was pricey at the time).

If you do like the specialty stuff like pinecones and labels or snakeskins, start casting! You can do a LOT with that. But again, the upfront costs are high. But once you have the setup, you can do a lot more and you can do it cheaply. A good worhtless wood or burl/ acrylic combo is $20 or so. buy a burl cap on ebay and you can make them for about $7/ blank. That's a lot less, and eventually it will pay for itself.

I think polymer clay is a great way to get unique and original blanks. You can just go simple with swirls and interesting color mixes, or you can emulate a Makume finish, or go detailed with intricate canes. The material is cheap, and you can get a lot of bank for your buck (especially with canes, and wrapping the tubes! Very little waste there). Buy from Micheal's if you want to try it out, using a 40% off coupon for the pasta machine. If you like it, find a cheap online seller. You can make blanks that blow a lot of people away for very little material cost (time is another matter). Just as Toni. :biggrin:

There's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

spnemo

Wow. Thanks for the great advice. I turn mostly wood because I have easy access to a local sawmill and I have plenty of trees on my property (ash, elm, sour cherry, aspen, and several conifers).

Aside from buying in bulk, I guess I am saving a fair amount of money already. I will have to sell a lot of pens before I can buy in large quantities.

Thanks for the advice!

bitshird

A good way is to buy a large sack of marbles. Each time you turn a pen, throw a marble as far as you can by the time you have lost all your marbles you really won't care any more.

it worked for me!!!

Top Bottom