How can you tell which pen is which

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joemac8

I got a lot of pen parts from a couple of guys. Some seem to be complete sets are in small, unmarked bags, and some large bags have a lot of misc parts. How can I tell which is what? How can I tell what kind of pen I have and what bushings I must use?

Sorry for the lame question but I am very confused.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Start by asking the guys that gave them to you what vendors they used.

This will narrow it to a couple manufacturers.

Next step I would do is compare tubes to the chart Wayne made up--in the library.

There is no EASY way, and, in fact you may find out you can't find the bushings for some of the sets you may have. Of course you CAN turn bushings.

As they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth (you will find the horse is older than you were told). Sometimes it's better to just keep the spare parts and use them when you need a spare part.

TerryDowning

Or just skip the sized bushings (still may need some some bushings to keep it all turning on the mandrel) altogether and use calipers to turn to the correct size. I did this lately when my I realized my designer bushings were thrashed.

JD Combs Sr

I would probably use them as parts for custom "kitless" pens. Check out the "Advanced Pen Making" forum for ideas. Nib and center couplings, clip finials, etc can all be used on customized pens.

Top Bottom