How can I thicken CA that is too thin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

Well, the thin, 4.5 oz botttle of CA I bought last week-end at Woodcraft is thin as water. Is there any way to thicken it a little, like maybe mix some medium with it. It just soaks through the shop towel I use to apply it. I've been using Loctite thin, 5 cps from Hobby Lobby and it's about right. (BTW I poured some from the large bottle to a smaller one.)
I'd like to hear your thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Thin CA is pretty much supposed to be watery. It can't really be applied to a paper towel - it's best to put the towel under the blank on your lathe, and drip the CA on the top of the spinning blank. You can buy Medium or Thick CA that would go better on a paper towel, but Thin is exactly what it says. HTH...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
BTW, 5cps should be the same from one manufacturer to the next. I am GUESSING your glue from Hobby Lobby is somewhat aged.

joek30296

Ed...thanks for your response. You're probably right about it's being aged.
BTW...I love doing business with you and Dawn at Exoticblanks!

Joe

ALA

If you haven't already, try using the foam to apply the thin CA that so many recommend here. It works for me.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
As has been mentioned, you can mix the difference viscosity of CA to thicken the thinner one up. I don't think I would use different brands mixed together.

joek30296

Thanks guys. I'll try the foam and if that doesn't work for me, I'll try mixxing some medium with the thin (same manufacturer). Will check out Steve's suggestion too.
I really appreciate your help and patience.

Joe

Top Bottom