How Can I tell the difference in . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Red Heart versus Bloodwood blanks? I bought 10 blanks of each and while about 8 each have stayed in thier respectively marked bags ( and since marked individually) I have 4 blanks that I cannot tell the difference visually.

I have not turned any yet, but will a difference show up in the turning that easily denotes BW from RH?

And No, they do not want to go out for an inspection tour. :D

wayneis

Hank if what you got was really both of these woods then it should be easy to tell the difference. Red Heart has grain similar to maple and the color is kind of pale red compared to Bloodwood where as Blood Woods grain is courser, it should also be darker deep red.

Wayne

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will run the edges through the sander to see if there is a difference. The problem with the rough edges is that they looks the same color and hue. Even the ends look the same. It made me entertain the thought that I was being sold the same wood in two different packages. I grew up with wood (USA domestic woods and can identify most woods almost instantly. I do know that some are similar but minutely different, and recognize that too. But in this case, they are the same color.

I will check on the grain after a fine sanding. Thanks for the input.

UPDATE:
Although they were smooth cut (no blade marks) the grain and color came out when I sanded them. It was easy on to spot the color and grain differences. Only needed to touch one side of each blank to the sander. I should have done this first.

As a side note, the BW seems a tad lighter in real vs those posted here (but mine are unfinished) while the RH seems a tad darker in the same light. Once sanded, it became apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom