How was this blank laminated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tool-man

I received this blank along with others in a trade over a year ago. A couple of days ago I found it and began to look at the lamination. It has me baffled.
lam blank071b.jpg
The brown outside pieces have both a concave and a convex cut. How were those made? Freehand? I thought maybe the long sweeping curves were cut with a band saw using a circle cutting jig (very large radius). Or am I over thinking this?

The red wood inset pieces also must be cut to the same radius (at least on one side) glued, and trimmed. How were these made?

The red and white wood lamination sections extend to the opposite side of the blank and are identical to the side shown. The right and left sides of the blank are plain wood without any lamination showing.

You pros at lamination have no doubt done this type of thing many times. I would appreciate some tips or hints at how to go about making a blank like this.

Drstrangefart

I've done extremely similar work on a scrollsaw, and it will also work with an extremely fine blade on the bandsaw. Looks fairly simple, but properly done.
It looks like two blanks were stacked on top of each other and cut at the same time to get the matching radii. Then it was glued back together with the laminate and left to set up.
392672_244960365564036_1888491838_n.jpg

There's one of my easier to make ones.

Last edited:

Alzey

Here is my guess:

1. stack red and brown and cut together in a band saw
2. swap pieces and laminate.
3. stack both laminated blanks with budges in same directions and cut same arc in opposite direction
4. swap pieces and laminate

Should end up with 2 blanks. One brown with red center like yours and one red with brown that is mirror of yours.

Top Bottom