How big a problem is this ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stango

I glued up 9 sets of tubes in blanks yesterday using Gorilla glue and I just realized that I didnt sand or rough up the tubes before gluing them in.

Will this cause any problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Oh boy!!! What a disaster!!!:eek: There is only one solution.....send all the blanks and kits to me and I'll try and fix them. A return address is not required:biggrin:

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. many people don't bother sanding or roughing the tubes

Mark

If you can't afford the shipping to Steven, I'd be happy to take them for you. :biggrin:

I've done that while only using CA and still didn't have a problem. I rough them only because I believe it helps, but I've forgotten and didn't run into any issues.

You should be fine..

Daniel

I would say it will not be a problem. But without actually being able to see the quality of the glue job. I would not want to mislead you. If you send them to me I wll turn them and give you a full report highlighting any problems in detail. Problems like being to short on funds to be able to return the pens. The back pains I might suffer standing at the craft show all day selling said pens. You know that sort of stuff.

I glue tubes all the time without ruffing them up. never have a problem. Mostly absent mindedness as i don't like to do it intentionally. but still no problems.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Unless the tubes were either highly polished to a mirror finish or they were horribly oxidized with green and blue patina the glue should hold if it is properly spread around the tubes. Do not send your tubes to these other wise fine gentlemen whom only wish to cheat you.:mad: especially the rat:biggrin:

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
On roughing up the tubes, some do and some don't. You have 2 choices. Take your pick.

For myself, I see it as - If I don't rough up the brass, I will wish that I had if I have a problem later. If I do, and don't have problems later, there is no loss.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PERSONALLY,
I don't rough up the tube.

And, while I have had tubes break free (less than one in 2-300 pens), the tubes have always had glue left on them--it has not been uniformly spread. So, I spend a lot of time "wiggling and spinning" the glued tube in the blank, before calling it "positioned".

As always, YMMV!!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
to rough or not to rough

I have had a few glued tubes break free while turning using epoxy but it doesn't seem to be related to whether I rough them or not. To me it seems to happen more often when squaring than when turning and is usually related to having left a bit of glue inside the tube which adheres to the bit.

Top Bottom