How attached to your pens are you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I've got a pretty good collection of pens made (50) on display racks,and when I have the opportunity to sell them I will,but looking at them all,I see that I've become attached to almost every one.

I start remembering how hard this one fought me,how I had to redo that other one twice,how cool that other one looks,etc...and I think it's going to be like selling the family pet!

I know I can always remake it,and hopefully improve the next one,but it got me to thinking if anyone else feels the same attachment,or are they just a commodity?

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pariss

Yep, I know exactly how you feel. I now have 5 cases full of pens, and like you enjoy looking at every one of them. I get quite distressed when my wife has girlfriends over, and asked me to show off my pens, as I just know I will have to GIVE them one :mad:.

wiset1

Most of the ones I make end up in a box at the bottom of my closet. There are however a couple that make me smile each time I see them and I probably wouldn't get rid of them. The one I will NEVER get rid of is the one my 6 year old painted and I cast. That's my favorite!!!!

thewishman

Steve, I have formed strong attachments to most of my pens. It's like they are my creations, my things. I found that it is much easier to get others interested in my work when I can express that passion.

In order for me to part with those creations, I ask a high price for them. A high enough price makes me feel that the purchaser also values those pens - their beauty and uniqueness. That helps me want to create more and share the opportunity to own them.

It is such a wonderful feeling to meet a customer months or years later and see that my pen is still in their pocket. That is a real pleasure, a small accomplishment.

IPD_Mr

I have had a couple that I regret selling, but boy I can sure get attached to a vintage pen in a hurry. The other pens that I am attached to came from members of the IAP. Eagle and Skiprat are my two favorite, but I have secured a new one that will be in my grubby paws in a couple of weeks that will be right there with those two. It just takes on a special meaning when it comes from someone you know and respect.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

The ones I turn myself - I don't get attached to at all. The fun is making those.

On the other hand, my collection - which includes only one of my own doing - I'm very attached to...they were all made by friends and/or customers here at IAP and each one is a treasure.

sumterdad

I told my wife the only ones that I will not sell is the ones that I receive from other members. Other than that I will sell any of the ones that I make. I can always replace them with others, plus the money usually allows me to buy more than just one kit. and a little extra in the pocket.:biggrin:

After turning several hundred I have become numb to any attachment to them. I do enjoy making my segmented pens and looking at them after I have made them but they go out of site like all the others. I should display them until sold but so far I have not.

louie68

My special pens are when I cast acrylic's and a image appears in the pen casting.
or making 10 bullet shell pens from my brother 21 gun salute.

Scott.tudhope

I have no attachment to mine at all. I just enjoy making them. I generally end up giving them to my kids or wife and sell them as my inventory starts to dwindle so I can buy more material.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The ones I turn myself - I don't get attached to at all. The fun is making those.

On the other hand, my collection - which includes only one of my own doing - I'm very attached to...they were all made by friends and/or customers here at IAP and each one is a treasure.

In addition to the fun of making them, I enjoy giving them away or selling for enough to make another. I have a couple of designs that I am fond of, but not the pens themselves.

I heard a truth quite a few years ago about our kids: to be a successful parent, raise your kids to love someone else more than they love you. Hard to do but it works. (And I know that not all kids follow our instructions.) IN a similar manner, I make my pens (and other hobby works) for others to enjoy and I get a deep enjoyment when they enjoy the pens I make.

LeeR

The only pen I've decided I'd never part with is my first pen. A Streamline in walnut. I tend to keep the first of something I do new in woodworking. I am very pleased with the way this pen came out (turning-wise), but the finish is pretty marginal. I oiled it, and it pretty much looks like bare wood today. But that's OK. I just gave away my 30th pen today to a good friend. He and I are both gun nuts, and so I turned a cartridge bullet pen for him, in cocobolo, with a CA finish. I've never sold a pen, preferring at this stage of my woodturning experience to just give them away, which I find rewarding, as I know is the case for many on this forum. Maybe I'll sell someday. I've had my lathe a year, and have started to branch out to other things, like tool handles. I especially like the Rockler pizza cutters, and I've also made some reversible screwdrivers.

Next on the list to try is peppermills, and then maybe on to bowls.

okiebugg

The boss

I personally have a few that I'll never sell or give away! Maybe 1 to Elle McPherson.

The boss is the one I have to worry about. If she sees one she likes or that sparkles, it is lost forever. I have to hide anything made of Pink Ivory or Osage Orange. Come to think about it, it's been that way for the last 40 years

cwolfs69

I've got a pretty good collection of pens made (50) on display racks,and when I have the opportunity to sell them I will,but looking at them all,I see that I've become attached to almost every one.

I start remembering how hard this one fought me,how I had to redo that other one twice,how cool that other one looks,etc...and I think it's going to be like selling the family pet!

I know I can always remake it,and hopefully improve the next one,but it got me to thinking if anyone else feels the same attachment,or are they just a commodity?

Thanks,
Steve
every ***** one of them is like a son or daughter. no matter how ordinary, each has a little uniqueness when finished. But they are pens, and except for a very tiny few, they are for sale. i have even sold the wife's favorite pen and had to make her another.

OKLAHOMAN

I am only attached to a very nice collection of member pens , like Mike and Linda there are a few that even from my collection are special to me and like them a couple from Eagle,plus the one I made from what could have been his last blank thats on Classics front page, one from Skippy, the collaboration between Jeff Powell and my self on the first Autumn Leaves pen and Ron Mac's "The day After"..

Ambidex

attached

I am still enjoying the newness, and while I really like some I've done..I know they're gonna be better ones. Haven't made the perfect one yet, and if I ever do, will be the one I keep!:biggrin:

biednick

I get very attachedmto my pens sometimes, so I turn some knowing from the start Im going to sellmthem, then I dont get as attached.

jcm71

The only ones that I'm attached to are my failures. Those are my "teachable moments". I'm amazed at how many ways there are to screw up a pen. Of those I'm proud of, I want to sell them as fast as I can so I can feed the addiction.

BlackPearl

I have one Kit that I like very much, but I have changed the skin on it three times. first I had an acrylic blank that I liked very much. That was replaced by a real PITA blank I made from Red Palm, that broke as it was destined to do and a friend sent me a real deep piece of Desert Ironwood that it has on it now.

I have 10 pens sitting in a box on my desk and if anyone ever shows an interest in one I would sell in in a heart beat, I work from home and have no face to face contact with anyone except the guys at the wood store.

Ambidex

booboos

I agree with you Burlman..am a sorta beginner and was keeping my errors just as not so subtle reminders on the mistakes you can make. Was on a forum and made a comment on how many "reminders" I was gathering after only a few months, and was told by a couple people to always throw the mistakes away. I didn't because I don't look at them negatively and get depressed as they said it made them feel..Sorta look at them, smile, and think of them as a badge of honor on teaching myself a new craft, hobby, addiction or whatever you wanna call it!:wink::biggrin:

wood-of-1kind

No attachment to any pens as long as the $elling price is right. I finally got over the 'attachment' hurdle after the 1st 100 pens or so. I no longer call them my 'babies', they're now made to be $old.

Chris Bar

I too become attached, but only while I am making the pens..but still... Since I don't sell but give them away, really is disheartening when you hear that one recipient's pens (yep, plural :frown:) just disappeared in the home. Guess they have no idea the effort that went into making them, one at a time....well into the wee hours. They (folks who do the same) don't get any more!

Ambidex

I agree...have given more than my share of freebies..now my codicil is...if I see you in 3 months...i want you to sign your autogragh with a pen I recognize:wink: Have had my share of sales from freebies..but can always use more:party:sorry..love the word codocil even though it is incorrect context..for all you barristers..animal house forever!hehehe,,sorry

Last edited:

Sataro

Enjoy making them...but enjoy seeing that greenback in my hand more. I kept the very 1st one that I made. My Dad also has some of my very 1st ones. Selling them enables me to buy more supplies & keep making them. Also it keeps mad money in my pocket which I enjoy. Any that I do not think measure up to my expectations are kept for use around the house. I also try to take pictures of all of them before they go out the door. That is my only attachment left to them.

Top Bottom