How to ask a turning question!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
First let me say Robert has given me permission to use this as an example, we hope it will give EVERYONE an idea HOW to solve your problems when presenting information on the IAP.

Robert knew he had a problem, so he posted this:
Everyone praises the Woodchuck, but I just keep breaking blanks when I get down to the bushings. The tool catches and snap! I'm looking at brass!

I understand the tool rest should be adjusted to the height where the Woodchuck blade is even with the center of the mandrel. This I do. I concentrate on keeping it parallel with the floor.

Help! Please!

But, after a couple questions, he "followed up" with this:

Are you turning maple or Acrylester? Burls?

I've had it happen with all types of material, Ed. Just lost three pieces of ironwood burl but got the cap barrel done (yeah, you don't have to tell me about that stuff--I was dripping thin ca on it all the way). I had a catch on the ebonite I was doing this afternoon, but that damn stuff is so tough it didn't break or even crack, just tore loose from the brass tube and I had to reglue.

I have had it catch in the middle of the blank more than at the ends. When I said down to the bushings, I meant to the level of the bushings, not the ends of the blank near the bushing. So the blanks at that point at very thin and a slight catch shatters the blank.

With this problematic material, I'm thinking I should use my spindle gouge, which never catches, and then sand the rest of the way (watching out for heat build-up)

By the way, I'm turning at a speed of around 500-750.

Thanks, you guys, for your suggestions and any more you can chime in with would be appreciated.

All of a sudden, because he "mentioned" his turning speed, LOTS of people could tell him what was causing his problems!!

So, please, when you post a question, try to include ALL relevant information:
1) WHAT are you turning?
2) What tool are you using?
3) What Speed is the lathe turning?

THEN What problem are you having!!

If you do this, you, LIKE Robert, will have a GREAT day the next day!!!

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED!!

ANOTHER HAPPY IAP MEMBER!!!

YOU COULD BE THE NEXT!!!

PLEASE--help us help you!!

Last edited:

ctubbs

Ed, thank you for sharing your expertise with Robert and helping to solve the problem. However, with Robert's permission, I believe you have produced an even more important result with these guidelines. They should be posted and kept in mind as we each pose our own questions. Gee Whiz, if I know it, everyone should know it! Nope, it does not work that way. Again, thank yous to both Ed and Robert.
Charles

Top Bottom