How about the Olympia kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

I don't seem to see much about this kit, but it seems like a nice replacement for the Euro because it does not have the wood tenon, but a proper metal to metal centerband.

The kit is not too bad on cost and I was thinking that I might order a couple. Any good or bad points about this kit? I really like the style of the center band, both in function and looks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

This is my favorite kit for Cross refills. Not only does it look better than a euro, but it also is better balanced than the euro. It requires a larger drill for the top, so it is lighter in the top than a euro.

The only negative is in pressing in the clip/finial. That is a bit of a pain.

DaveM

The pen is just a bit different than the Euro, but I like it better. It has a bit nicer balance, and it outsells the Euro for me. No real bad points, but you can learn from my mistakes! The ends of the barrel get pretty thin, so be careful with translucent acrylics, and paint those tubes a close match. (Note to self, white paint is not a close match for orange.) Also, the spring loaded clip is nice, but you should follow the instructions when putting it together. I tried doing it my way, and it didn't work until I propped it open. One other warning about the clip. It will crack the acrylic if you do something really stupid with it. I snagged the clip once, and cracked the acrylic right in front of a customer.

It comes with long tubes for both halves. I tend to leave the barrel long, and shorten the cap end slightly, but it works well any way you cut it. It is a great kit, and I have had good success selling them.

alamocdc

Lee, the Oly is the only Cross refilled Euro I turn. I think one of the reasons you don't see much about it is that is considerably more expensive (especially w/durable platings). Like Stan, it is my favorite Cross refill type. If I were to list any complaints about the pen the list would be short. The main thing is that I think the upper barrel (w/clip) is too long and the lower barrel too thin. I've only turned one per the instructions and noticed that the proportions looked off. Then I saw that someone had turned one that looked better and I've been following that lead ever since. I shorten the upper barrel by about 1/4" and turn the lower barrel fat at the CB leaving a tenon sized to the bushing so it will fit properly into the bottom of the CB. My photo album should reveal a few examples.

Russianwolf

Hey Billy,
Since you turn the 8mm Euro, perfect fit and Oly, could you tell me what the finished dimensions run, overall length and diameter. I'm curious how they compare size-wise to each other. And to the 7mm euro, but I have those dimensions.

Oh and do you know if the 8mm euro bushings from PSI work on the berea kits? Berea only offers them in size B.

Firefyter-emt

Mike, if you switch over ot between center turning, your dead/live center set up could care less if they are A or B bushings..

Thanks for the input guys.. Compared to some kits, the price is not too bad, for example they are less than the Americana which can be full of issues. AZ has them for like $4.50 or so right now, I think they are about a buck less than the Euro, Not a bad change.

Bob A

Billy, that's good info. The only reason I never ordered any was I thought the upper barrel was too long. Didn't know if you could shorten it.
Thanks.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />Hey Billy,
Since you turn the 8mm Euro, perfect fit and Oly, could you tell me what the finished dimensions run, overall length and diameter. I'm curious how they compare size-wise to each other. And to the 7mm euro, but I have those dimensions.

Oh and do you know if the 8mm euro bushings from PSI work on the berea kits? Berea only offers them in size B.

Sorry, Mike, I've been away from the computer for a few days and just got back to this. The battery died on my calipers and I haven't had a chance to pick any up. But according to the instructions the 8mm Euro is .55" at the CB and using a ruler it measures just over 5.5" long. The Perfect fit looks to use the same size bushing at the CB (but it isn't listed in the instructions) and an eyeball measurement comes in a just a smidge over .5" with an over all length the same as the Euro. The Olympia instructions don't list the bushing size either, but the eyeballed ruler measurement was 7/16" (maybe jsut a touch larger). The length is another issue. Stock length is maybe 1/16" longer than the PF and Euro, but the way I make them ends up being about 5 3/8" long.

Woodcraft may have the 8mm Euro bushings for an "A" mandrel, but I don't know. The only ones I've purchased are for the "B" mandrel. However, if you don't want to buy a "B" mandrel, you can still use the "B" bushings between centers. This method has been posted here already. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

avbill

I have look and bought the Olympic pen kit. Have not made one yet. But there were several things that I do not understand.
What does OLY mean?
what does CB mean?
what does FP mean?

thanks bill

Firefyter-emt

OLY, would refer to the Olympia kit
CB = Centerband
FP = Fountain pen
(also in this post) PF = Perfect fit

On another note, I got my "stupid fast" order in from BB yesterday morining (I think I ordered it on Saturday and I live in Conn! So far so good, I really like the overall look of the kit, but it would of been nice as a Parker refill over the Cross, but I can live with it. The clip looks really cool and the centerband is great. I think that it may be second in line after the Statesman design, for the CB that is.

I will post up once it's done, and go from there..

avbill

I have look and bought the Olympic pen kit. Have not made one yet. But there were several things that I do not understand.
What does OLY mean?
what does CB mean?
what does FP mean?

thanks bill

alamocdc

Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />Thanks billy, sounds like they are all very close in size.

Mike, don't be fooled by the dimensions I posted above. While the PF (short for Perfect Fit) and the Euro are and look similar in size, the Oly uses 7mm tubes and it actually looks significantly smaller than the other two. The lower barrel in particular if turned b2b. The photo below shows what I mean. This pen was turned b2b and kept the stock length.
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005894612_olympia_spalted_pecan.jpg
<br />

The Oly below shows the modification that I believe has a better aesthetic and balance.
<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005102925944_oly_green_acrylic.jpg
<br />

While it's hard to tell from the photos, the lower pen is actually just over 1/4" shorter than the first.

alamocdc

Lee, when I first started shortening the upper barrel I would do so after I had the blank drilled and glued up. I now shorten the barrel before drilling and gluing. I make the cuts on my BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom