How TO???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

I've be looking at member's album's and just keep picking my mouth up off the floor at the variety in pen styles. I see a lot of pens that have bodies with closed ends, appearing not to have been turned on a lathe, pen tops that don't appear to have barrels in them because of the shape.

I guess my question is how is this done? How can a barrel not be open on both ends? How can a cap look so unique as to appear like there is no barrel inside the wood or acrylic? To this point all I have been able to produce is kit pens that have nothing unique to them at all. I'm sure I'm not the first to inquire, but being in such company as you all, I might as well try to pick brains for knowledge or direction. Thanks in advance for all the info I'll receive, all you guys and gals are great?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Every thing I have done is usually based on an idea that started somewhere else.
Thinking is the hard part, the solution is the fun part.
The execution is mechanical.

GregD

I think eagle said it. Most ideas start from something we have seen elsewhere. Then with a little trial and error and thinking outside the box, a masterpiece is created. Continue to make the non discript pens and learn the tecniques. Then take a walk on the wild side.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />I've be looking at member's album's and just keep picking my mouth up off the floor at the variety in pen styles. I see a lot of pens that have bodies with closed ends, appearing not to have been turned on a lathe, pen tops that don't appear to have barrels in them because of the shape.

I guess my question is how is this done? How can a barrel not be open on both ends? How can a cap look so unique as to appear like there is no barrel inside the wood or acrylic? To this point all I have been able to produce is kit pens that have nothing unique to them at all. I'm sure I'm not the first to inquire, but being in such company as you all, I might as well try to pick brains for knowledge or direction. Thanks in advance for all the info I'll receive, all you guys and gals are great?

The easiest way for a closed end pen is to use a pin chuck. First you need a rod that fits very snug into your brass tube, then grind down a bit just before the end of the rod and fit a piece of a nail (hence the name pin chuck)that make up for the height of the ground down area. When the pin is in the middle of the ground down area it should have the same height as the unground area. This fits well into the brass tube with your blank, as soon as the blank is slightly turned, the nail locks in and a pretty tight holding chuck is created. It sounds here much more complicated than it really is.
A picture of pin chucks can be seen here:
http://www.turtlewoodworks.com/pmggallery/kleinhenzr/kleinhenzr101.jpg

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There is a tutorial for making a closed end desk pen on my website at:

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen61.html

There is more detail for doing the same thing on the video that I have available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom