House of Wood(s)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Phillywood has a neat thread going in regards to gathering data about how various 'pen blanks' turn and other characteristics. This got me thinking about the various selections of 'timber' that I've turned since catching the 'fever'. Here's my collection of wood(s) that I like to display and share with my customers whenever I do pen shows. In my mind it's more effective to allow the customer handle my timbers in the 'round' rather than presenting them with 'squares'. Methinks it's easier to imagine what a pen may look like dressed on components when they're 'semi-turned'. What do you think? Round or square, or it doen't really matter?:biggrin:

P9080002.JPG

P9080003.JPG

P9080005.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I used to display blanks that were square on one end and round on the other. People kept picking them, putting them in their mouth, and blowing on them (they thought they were whistles). When the 'whistle' would not make noise, they would ask 'what is this'. Now, please realize that we had a sign right in the middle of the display of blanks that read 'WOOD SAMPLES'. My dear, sweet wife, being the kind and gentle soul that she is, grew tired of their inability to read. So she would look the customer dead in the eye and, with the most serious expression, tell them 'Those are butt plugs'. Sometimes, she would even insert the word 'used'.

PenMan1

I used to display blanks that were square on one end and round on the other. People kept picking them, putting them in their mouth, and blowing on them (they thought they were whistles). When the 'whistle' would not make noise, they would ask 'what is this'. Now, please realize that we had a sign right in the middle of the display of blanks that read 'WOOD SAMPLES'. My dear, sweet wife, being the kind and gentle soul that she is, grew tired of their inability to read. So she would look the customer dead in the eye and, with the most serious expression, tell them 'Those are butt plugs'. Sometimes, she would even insert the word 'used'.

Now, THAT"S FUNNY!

wood-of-1kind

'Those are butt plugs'. Sometimes, she would even insert the word 'used'.

Stan, that is just too funny. I've had a lot of conversations started with customers in regards to the blanks, but I've never been able to use the 'butt-line". So, I'm curios, how many sales did she make after this great punch line?:redface::eek:

bitshird

Nice to have some one around that has a sense of humor! Sometimes tire kickers at craft shows have you speaking in tongues when they leave your stand, they make you wonder just how dumb can people get and still find their way home. Or perhaps they don't!!

phillywood

Peter, Sorry I missed your post. I have been busy trying to update the chart. first of all, great pic.s, then secondly I think you have the best idea. Here is why. I am gathering all these blanks, and they look different than what you have which is more realistic when you have it rounded like those in the pic. I think it is the closest you can come to see the real thing, in MHO for the custom work you can't have the customer backing out on you because they can actually see what the finish pen will look like except the shine and that's very close. I wish the friends here who took time out to help with the chart could give us pic. of the blank before and after it is finished so we have something realistic. I admire you for what you've done its a great idea and I like to ask for your permission to do that with my blanks in case of custom work.

nava1uni

I like this idea a lot. The rounds give the eye and the mind a better idea of what a pen will look like when finished. People who don't work with wood can't really imagine what something square and covered with wax will look like when turned.

fernhills

Yes and No ! I think it easier to do segments when they are square. If you turn your supply all to round, you may be boxing your self in a corner, oh, there is no corners in round, see. Carl

Top Bottom