Hot damn finished one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Million things wrong with it, I have a lot to learn and it is too embarrassing to show maybe the next one.

But it is done. It may not be good looking but it is a user and I'm proud of the first step.

Got the next one drilled and ready to go.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Way to go! I've got one right now that has blown up way too many times to count, but I am too stupid to quit. This is my design for the PITH and it will work, eventually, I hope, maybe, PLEASE!
When your five gallon bucket of oops becomes a 55 gallon barrel of them, then you may have reason to wonder just what you are doing wrong. My barrel runnoth over long time past.
Charles

Haynie

I am calling it the 3 foot sketch pencil because that is how many feet of aluminum bar it took to drill the barrel without something going wrong.

Things I learned--
1-Barrel trimmer is a must
2-Disk sander not so good for squaring ends of round stock
3-CHECK LEVEL ON EVERYTHING BEFORE USING
3.5-Then recheck it
4-Course sanding can get out of hand real quick (Yes I need one new bushing)
5-Actually have the right materials on hand before getting started.

Will do the next one next week. Actually have to work now and then head out of town. I will try to take a photo of the first and second attempts when I get back. I hate it when family obligations interfere with my ME time. This was fun.

kludge77

Million things wrong with it, I have a lot to learn and it is too embarrassing to show maybe the next one.

Never be afraid to show your mistakes! No one here started off turning perfect pens! Trust me!

100_2012.jpg

My first pen is the wenge one. I turned it so badly that even after sanding and finishing I got a splinter on it's first use. :biggrin:

So congrats on the first and looking forward to SEEing #2

ThomJ

Keep at it, it only gets better. I still have the 1st carving I did, was supposed to be a santa, it looks like a tiki

kovalcik

Haynie,
Congratulations! I am only a couple of months ahead of you, so I understand completely. Keep turning them out. I finally got my first good CA finished pen done last week. For the most part they keep getting better.

If it helps, I find that giving them to my daughters always gets a positive reaction, no matter what it looks like.:smile-big:

Top Bottom