horse hair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I'm in the process of making one myself. I live on a huge horse farm so horse hair is easily available after my wife cleans up their tales. She braids horses all the time so I'm asking her to braid the tube for me to cast. It's gonna be made from my bosses horse and it'll be a gift for him.

bruce119

I got a few ideas for the best effect I would take the tube paint it black or dark brown. Then put a dowel through the tube nice and tight you want to try and seal the ends. Now there are many glues that will work but lately I have been using Mod Podge (thank you Don). Paint the tube with Mod Podge roll it on the hair I would lay the hair out length way past the ends of the tube thats where the dowel comes in handy glue it past the tube rite on to the dowel you can take care of that easily after it's cast. I would do a couple layers let don't try and git all glued on at once build it up. Now one problem I had with Mod Podge it's great to work with but it is water based. Before you cast you need to let it fully cure that would be about a week or I have been coating my blanks with CA 24 hrs after the Mod Podge that is fully coating the entire blank with 2 coats of medium CA that seals in any problems and helps prevent bubbles forming it'd been working for me. Or you could just use CA for the whole process I would use thick CA.

Just an idea another mite be to braid some hair and wrap it around the tube then cast. But be careful how high you build it you don't have much room to work with.

good luck

jskeen

I'm not sure if this is what you are thinking about, but horsehair is used in decorative knotwork called hitching. I would assume that it would not be anymore difficult to do this type of work around a brass tube than it is around a dowel for the handle of a quirt. Would make a heck of a pen if you could find the right person to do the knotwork.

Attachments

• 12detail_top300.jpg
    12detail_top300.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 208

glycerine

I'm not sure if this is what you are thinking about, but horsehair is used in decorative knotwork called hitching. I would assume that it would not be anymore difficult to do this type of work around a brass tube than it is around a dowel for the handle of a quirt. Would make a heck of a pen if you could find the right person to do the knotwork.

I've got something like that I've been needing to cast, just haven't gotten around to it. It's not horse hair, but embroidery thread... basically I made what they used to call "friendship bracelets".

Top Bottom