Horse blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joemac8

I was at Rockler today and saw a blank with a hgalloping horse laser cut out. There were small pieces of contrasting wood in the package. The clerk said that you glue the contrasting pieces in and then sand the blank- no turning. He also said that you need a "Sierra" pen kit or a "Gatsby"? He had neither kit.

Is this correct? I am new to turning. How difficult is this project?

The kit was $25. Is there somewhere else to buy a kit with a horse on it? (My daughter LOVES horses)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

+ 1 for Lazerlinez and your sales person was a bit off base, there are great instructions on Constants site for the correct way to assemble the Laser cut inlays, You COULD glue it together than sand it, but you could just sand all of your penblank. You do need to turn them with either a very sharp skew or an extremely sharp scraper or a Carbide insert type tool

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Joe,
Come to our meeting in January in Milwaukee. We're going to be working with laser inlay kits.
PM me if you want more information.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Joe,
Come to our meeting in January in Milwaukee. We're going to be working with laser inlay kits.
I turn all my laser kits with a skew. If your tools are sharp there's no need to sand first.
PM me if you want more information about the meeting.

Joemac8

Dave, I plan on being there but January follows Christmas & I wanted the pen for my daughter for Christmas. Oh well, maybe I'll be there and present an example of what can go wrong???

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Dave, I plan on being there but January follows Christmas & I wanted the pen for my daughter for Christmas. Oh well, maybe I'll be there and present an example of what can go wrong???

Joe I'm sure you won't have any problems. Just follow the instructions from Constant and use a sharp chisel. You'll do fine.

If you do have any questions let me know. If you happen to be in town between now and Christmas bring it with and we can work on it.

Top Bottom