Horn Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

HI I have just found a horn off a cow beside the road. It still has blood in it. Can I turn it now or is it like wood do I have to let it dry. Do you wash them out??

Excited to start if i can
bye
Toni:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

Hello,
first question is the horn solid or hollow inside?
if the cow horn is not hollow that stuff has to come out. that stuff(junk) is kinda like bone marrow(thats what i have been told)
after all that junk is taken out you will need to measure the thickness. I believe that it will be too thin to make a complete pen out of. I have a cow horn that all of the junk is taken out of the inside and its only about 3/16" thick. I am making the horn into a powder horn for my blackpowder rifle.

you should be able to use it like you would pickgaurd material on a pen though.
the folowing website gives detailled information on making a powder horn: http://www.nmroyalrangers.org/FCF/making_a_powder_horn.htm
I am posting the website just to give you some insite on what a cow horn looks like when hollowed out.

you can also turn the cow horn into a drinking horn for water or anything else you might want to drink. it sounds kinda gross to drink out of a horn but that is what the vikings and mountain men used for a drinking cup. you can find all the information on how to turn the cow horn into a drinking horn by doing a search online.
i know that it takes about a month to make a drinking horn.

This wouldn't be any different than turning an elk or deer antler with the marrow showing. I always prefer to drill to one side to show some of the marrow. IMHO it adds character. It will take a more CA to stabilize. Give it a try, you might like it.

Brian

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by FireMedic4Christ
<br />This wouldn't be any different than turning an elk or deer antler with the marrow showing. I always prefer to drill to one side to show some of the marrow. IMHO it adds character. It will take a more CA to stabilize. Give it a try, you might like it.

Brian

I agree with you on the antler but the horn is a different story.
the outside (great pattern) that we all see is about 3/16" thick with a inside diameter without the marrow inside is about 6".
If i am to follow what you are saying i will be turning the marrow only and not the horn, unless you can get a pen blank out of the very tip of the horn due to the horn is very narrow there and is closer together on the inside diameter.

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by aussie_chick
<br />HI I have just found a horn off a cow beside the road. It still has blood in it. Can I turn it now or is it like wood do I have to let it dry. Do you wash them out??

Excited to start if i can
bye
Toni[:)]
I would most certainly wash it out real good and let it dry for a couple of days, i would even use a little bleach in the water when washing it.
Horn does not need to cure(dry) like wood does.
please take pic of the horn before during and after if it works for you.

Ligget

The only cow horn pen I have seen is in Old Griz`s photo album, if you go to his photos the pic is on page 6.
He would be the best person to give you info on what to do.

Toni,
The American Indians used to take the buffalo horns, (same as cow horns) and boil them until soft, then cut them in strips to make bows... you might be able to do similar with the rest of the horn... cut into narrow stripps and laminate to get a thick enough blank for a slimline.. just be sure you put exterior of horn on two sides of blank....this is theory only never tried myself and don't think wife would let boil a cow horn in her kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom