honing? a scraper??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Last night, I was working on a Euro, and i stopped to sharpen my scraper. After i sharpened, the scraper got really aggressive with the material, to the point of catching and causing a series of DEEP chips in the PR. I had just been thumbing through a catalog and was looking at tools, Specifically(sp) all the scraper honing straps, strops, stones, and such. Woodturning is my introduction to woodworking, so the theory behind some of the tools is still a bit shady for me, and apparently the scraper is one of those tools! I thought the honing was meant for different tools than turning tools, or at very best, used strictly for a finishing cut from the scraper. Not owning any of these fancy honing tools, I looked to my toolbox. I do have a standard flat file! I ran the file across the top of the scraper a few times and went back to the PR blank. The difference was AMAZING! I could easily control the depth of the cut, and it did not chip the material at all. I could feel the difference in the tool. Before the honing, it cut rough and kinda jumpy. After the honing, the cut was like a roller skate. The tool just glides across the blank. I have been turning since 10/22/05 and just learned this trick last night, so i thought i might share it for the benefit of some of the newer turners.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

get a credit card diamond sharpener, also consider how aggressive your scraper was, Many turners got to lengths to raise a burr on the edge of their scrapers, the purpose being to use that during finishing the burnished tool lightly removes material, works great on bowls and spindles, best thing is learn control that's the best tool you can own.

RAdams

Banned
I sharpened it with a slow speed grinder and a homemade platform to hold the angle.

It definately made a big difference in how it cut.

mickr

you sharpened & got a burr...which is what you want on turning other objects..when you filed it you removed the burr..therefore less aggressive...

I noticed you are turning PR... for me a scraper is pretty aggressive anyway for PR... I try to always use a skew... cuts smoothly and less chance for a chip... I've taken corners off with scraper, but then switch to the skew.

Top Bottom