Honeycomb question - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default Honeycomb question

I want to make a pen using aluminum honeycomb. I was told to soak the metal in white vinegar for about one hour to "rough up" the metal and allow the PR to stick better. Blank looked good but as it was turned the very small sections on the outside fell off. Now it has been suggested I use the acid bricklayers use to clean bricks. Any help would be appreciated.
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

With the alun honey comb blanks I have cast we're not cleaned with any special way, blow them off , insure they are the same temp as the alumlite(70 degrees plus), pressure pot for 4 hours at 60 psi and never had any bowl out.

I only turn my blanks with. Very sharp skew.

That is what I do, hope it held.

Charlie
Dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 161

I clean mine with Kurd Kutter metal clean and etch

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kut...E326/203396817

Even with that, I have not had much luck casting in PR, alumilite works much better.
Cwalker935 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Epoxy resin will work better but I am guessing alumilite will work too because it does not shrink and pull away from the metal.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol. I bet Kurds on the aluminum would make getting anything to stick to it a little ďcheesyĒ.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Epoxy resin will work better but I am guessing alumilite will work too because it does not shrink and pull away from the metal.
Interesting comment about using Epoxy resin as I have found out Alumlite works 100 percent of the time. I sure Epoxy resin would work too. However when gluing in tubes which are pre painted, with CA I get a blotchy looking color from the tube. When using Epoxy with colored tubes and putting color in the Epoxy before gluing in tube the blotchy problem is gone, tubes stay tight and don't have any blow outs. To insure that the ends of tube-blank stay solid I will after turning 50 percent of diameter put a little CA on both ends, then do the same thing just before reaching the correct diameter of the tube.
For sure making Alum Honey comb pen is a real challenge to get good.
Dieseldoc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have turned about 6 pens from honeycomb blanks I have made myself. One of which I turned down to a slimline, which I think was almost a dumb idea, even though the pen ended up very pretty. I do not clean the aluminum before pouring. I do use alumilite and a pressure pot. I also use a carbide roughing gouge and only take off a tiny bit at a time. I go into these blanks knowing that theyíre going to take a while to make. I stop roughing when Iím about 1/8 of an inch out, or if thereís chunks flying everywhere, Iíll stop sooner. Then I take off material with 80 grit sandpaper. Like I said, it takes a while. With this method, Iím able to consistently do bigger pens with no blowout. But with the slimline I found that even with the gentle removal method I could still see separation, so I had to part off the ends and glue everything again. I probably could have prevented it had I put on some thin ca halfway through like dieseldoc said. I usually ca the ends after trimming them. img_9769.jpg
I think alumilite helps, but you have to be really cautious on the removal as well.
Rachgard is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachgard View Post
I have turned about 6 pens from honeycomb blanks I have made myself. One of which I turned down to a slimline, which I think was almost a dumb idea, even though the pen ended up very pretty. I do not clean the aluminum before pouring. I do use alumilite and a pressure pot. I also use a carbide roughing gouge and only take off a tiny bit at a time. I go into these blanks knowing that theyíre going to take a while to make. I stop roughing when Iím about 1/8 of an inch out, or if thereís chunks flying everywhere, Iíll stop sooner. Then I take off material with 80 grit sandpaper. Like I said, it takes a while. With this method, Iím able to consistently do bigger pens with no blowout. But with the slimline I found that even with the gentle removal method I could still see separation, so I had to part off the ends and glue everything again. I probably could have prevented it had I put on some thin ca halfway through like dieseldoc said. I usually ca the ends after trimming them. Attachment 175014
I think alumilite helps, but you have to be really cautious on the removal as well.
Thanks for all the reply's, sounds like PR may not be the way to go. Interesting idea about sanding to final diameter, may have to give that a try.
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads