Homemade indexing plate?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I love my Jet mini, but if I knew what I know now what I didn't know then, I would have gotten one with indexing capabilities.

Has anyone made an indexing plate for a lathe that isn't factory built with one?

I was thinking an old saw blade with it's teeth built in at the proper positions would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shull

if you search "indexing plates" there is an thread discribing how to make one. I believe the author was frednc

Hope this helps

KenV

I needed one this last spring and purchased one similar to what is John shows in the photos. It fit on the Jet 1014 very easily with the Pin Plate attaching to the existing screws on the back of the head stock. There were two rows of holes to catch with the pin. Worked well for marking holes to drill along the edge of bowls on a collabortive work with my weaving wife.

http://alisam.com/page/14g9e/Woodworking_turning_OT.html

fast and easy -- took about 10 minutes to be operational.

dogcatcher

I needed one but did not need all of the holes so I took a cheap plastic cutting board from Harbor Freight and used a compass to determine where the holes needed to be. Centered punched the holes to keep the drill bit from slipping and then drilled them out. Used a 1" center so it would fit on the spindle. With the left over scraps from the cutting board I made a bracket for the pin to lock it in place. A clamp held the pin holder in place and the chuck kept the index wheel locked down. Took a few hours to make but cost was less than $10.

Paul in OKC

I needed one but did not need all of the holes so I took a cheap plastic cutting board from Harbor Freight and used a compass to determine where the holes needed to be. Centered punched the holes to keep the drill bit from slipping and then drilled them out. Used a 1" center so it would fit on the spindle. With the left over scraps from the cutting board I made a bracket for the pin to lock it in place. A clamp held the pin holder in place and the chuck kept the index wheel locked down. Took a few hours to make but cost was less than $10.

There ya go! I have been thinking about an indexing set up to be made at home. Couldn't find my compass! Anyway, I am also making a couple of simple indexing set ups, just lack finishing up (like everything else). Another thought I had was to make a template and post it here. Should be able to print it off and put on a board, plastic, or....and drill the holes. What do you think?

Chuck Key

That can be done with pie chart software. I have used Excel. Just make a pie with 12 or 24 equal slices etc then print it out and stick it on the material as a guide.

Chuckie

dogcatcher

Make sure you use a center punch to keep the drill bit from wandering off of the correct spot. I only did 16 holes to start with, for what I do that was more than enough, Also do not drill your center hole until you have the entire wheel marked.

After you mount the wheel you can trim it with a chisel. I rough sawed the circle and then cleaned it up on the lathe. Looks as good as high dollar store bought, just not as many holes.

Paul in OKC

Here is a pic of my latest project. Don't have the base for the pin plate yet, but you get the idea. It is a 24 tooth sprocket, drilled 1" and welded onto a 1"-8 nut that I cut in two. 1/4" rod for the pin. I am also working on an attachment to put holes, or dots, or.... into blanks, and will get to it soon, I hope, and sent out to the beta tester (sorry, already got one).

Attachments

• indexer.jpg
    indexer.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 196
I laid out the several in Corel, and lasered them off on 4" and 6" discs. The most difficult part you need to know is the angle(s) you want and then duplicate the pin hole around a particular point at that angle.

Top Bottom