Holy spalted birch bat man!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Got one of the little stumps I reclaimed from a construction area slabbed out. Got several burl caps as well.

Attachments

• 5895089363_937cac2107_b.jpg
    5895089363_937cac2107_b.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 5895652356_ac68311775_b.jpg
    5895652356_ac68311775_b.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Not bad for a day and a half work. LOts more to go though! All the big stuff behind and to the left of me is heavily burled and splated birch root.

Attachments

• 5895662702_04d80de2cf_b.jpg
    5895662702_04d80de2cf_b.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

robutacion

Not bad for a day and a half work. LOts more to go though! All the big stuff behind and to the left of me is heavily burled and splated birch root.

Great photos Rick,

Glad to see someone next to a Husky and all that yummy wood to work with...!:wink:

I can see that you are using the "log" trick to support the wood for the cuts but, you need to consider to make something like this, I can guarantee you will be coursing not having one of these, a long time before, just magic and safe...!

Apart from firewood and pens, what else are you going to use the wood for...???

Cheers
George

Rick P

There are definitely some larger turnings here, the wood is in great shape for the level of spalting. I may try and cut some plank wood for other projects but right now my mind is mostly on getting it slabbed out in a way that maximises my yield. This is a bit more than a quarter of the wood I have to cut and all of it is full of burls or really nice grain.

Husky's 460 rancher is one of the finest saws I have ever used. My wife has a 137 for limbing.

Last edited:

Rick P

Great looking log Jig BTW I had a set of angle pins but they have to be driven in with a hammer. Almost forgot there are two more full trees like this that need to come out next year that are even more heavily burled.

Last edited:

robutacion

There are definitely some larger turnings here, the wood is in great shape for the level of spalting. I may try and cut some plank wood for other projects but right now my mind is mostly on getting it slabbed out in a way that maximises my yield. This is a bit more than a quarter of the wood I have to cut and all of it is full of burls or really nice grain.

Husky's 460 rancher is one of the finest saws I have ever used. My wife has a 137 for limbing.

Yeah, Husky's are my favorite saws.

I have 11 saws running, from the smallest to the biggest, including 3 electric ones and 2 pole saws, one as a backpack type, 1.5meters reach from my arm, and the heavy duty long one at 4.5 meters reach.

In June last years I bought my Husky 460 X Torque @ 20" bar for AU$1.149.00, this was a limited edition saw make for the Australian market, same power as the 460 Rancher but with a lot more torque...!:biggrin: Great saw, but need something stronger in a 25" to 28" bar that is not as heavy as my replica Stihl N90 at 112CC with a 36" bar, weighing a impossible 20kg for hand work. This is the machine I run on my GB chainsaw 44" mill, making it a 30kg total weight.

For slabbing, isn't too bad as I have my wife to help me handling the saw into and out of the rails/guides but for normal chainsaw work, this is just too damn heavy for my back to handle so, I'm looking into a husky either 576XP, 372XP or the 395XP, between the AU$1.600 and AU$1.900...!:eek: :confused:

Some of my first saws are old and tired, compression's are low and the general ware is considerable but, they are all operational and have got me out of troubles as spares/emergency replacements, many times...!:biggrin:

Expensive hobby, this one...!:redface:

Cheers
George

Rick P

I used to run a 36 inch "Lumbard" felling saw, damn thing looked like a harley motor with teeth. I think it was even a bit heavier than the one you discribe. Running it 15 minutes would kill me now.

Last edited:

Woodlvr

Nice looking wood Rick. Are you sure that you are in Alaska? J/K. :eek::biggrin:
(Jealousy rears it's ugly head):rolleyes:

Rick P

LOL that was good! Good turns.........and more than a little true! The amount and quality of spalted wood I have right now is a bit overwhelming.

Woodlvr
62 here now, I must be in Alaska, we are the only state not in the upper 90's-100's right now.

vtturner

Rick...looks like you have some great wood there. Always nice when it turns out to be some great looking wood when you get in to it.....sometimes you win sometimes you don't. But you definitely won with this stuff.

Bill

Top Bottom