Holly score

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

I love Holly. A year or two back I received several small chunks of a branch as a bonus to a larger blank order. They cut up into creamy white dreams. I sliced some into blanks, and some into strips of varying thicknesses to use for segmented pieces. Woodcraft sells 1" square footlong pieces for $11, so the stuff can get pricey pretty quickly.

So it was with great glee I saw a Craigslist ad for some free Holly being given away as fire wood (the horror!), less than 15 miles from the house. On my first trip I could only get pieces that were short enough to get in the car (6-8" diameter pieces), but I went out the next day with the chainsaw... someone had already beat me to it :(. They left cutoffs of the big pieces, which leads me to believe they wanted it as firewood, but all of the smaller stuff was still there (2-4"). I grabbed everything left except the tiny branches.

Overall, it's a LOT more than I had, and I'm happy to get it... but I wish I was able to get all of the big stuff. I shudder to think people burn that stuff.

Somebody in PA has a 10' section 17" in diameter and a 30" rootball for $100... if I had access to a truck, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat for some bowl blanks. If anyone is in the area and wouldn't mind doing a little delivery, I'd try to make it worth your while (like pay for the whole thing and split the wood 50/50) [:D]

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

Anyone tried to dye Holly? If so, does it dye evenly, or is there enough difference in grain hardness to get a more interesting zebra effect?

A number of the pieces I picked up have branch offshoots, which means the grain in those areas will have a lot of swirling... if I could get a cool dye effect in those areas, they'd make some sweet blanks.

Loon-A-See

Is it worth it to rent a truck from U-Haul? I think that they run about $20/day for a Ford F-150. And then, there's the gas. Sounds like a fun adventure!

Maria
Camano Island, WA

gimpy

I guess the first thigh that would come to mind is how dry is it.

If you want Dan, Pm me let me know where it is located in Pa,
If not to far 17868, I would go take a look for you...

How far from Hickory are you,

Dan Hintz

It's in Landenberg, gimpy, so even farther from you than me :-/ It's less than 90 miles from me, but between the time to go rent a truck, load/unload, return truck, etc. the time adds up pretty quick. Really wish someone would buy my S2000 so I could put a cheap truck in its place.

Just seems such a waste to let that beast go...

Fatdawg

It's in Landenberg, gimpy, so even farther from you than me :-/ It's less than 90 miles from me, but between the time to go rent a truck, load/unload, return truck, etc. the time adds up pretty quick. Really wish someone would buy my S2000 so I could put a cheap truck in its place.

Just seems such a waste to let that beast go...

Where is the wood at?

Landenburg

Dan Hintz

Hey, I'd meet someone there with my saw to cut it up if they had the ability to get half of it back to my place. I've just never had the opportunity to get a hold of Holly of any appreciable size before, and getting some large enough for bowls and salt/pepper shakers is enticing.

Top Bottom