Holly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sammy1947

Is holly not concicered a hard wood? I have been turning some holly for a pen and when im done I noticed some little chips missing now is that the holly or me? How can I solve this problem...I notices it on some of my box elder too. Please can you help me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

sammy, holly is a soft wood, as is box elder,
I believe the issue here is that your
tools are not sharp enough....

Sharpen your tools and try again
Hope this helps

sbwertz

Hardwood and hard wood are two different things! HARDWOOD means a deciduous tree...it loses it's leaves in the winter. SOFTWOOD is evergreen. HOWEVER, there are some very hard softwood varieties, and some very soft hardwood varieties.

"Hardwood is wood from angiosperm trees (more strictly speaking non-monocot angiosperm trees). It may also be used for those trees themselves: these are usually broad-leaved; in temperate and boreal latitudes they are mostly deciduous, but in tropics and subtropics mostly evergreen. Hardwood contrasts with softwood (which is from Gymnosperm trees). Hardwoods are not necessarily harder than softwoods. In both groups there is an enormous variation in actual wood hardness, with the range in density in hardwoods completely including that of softwoods; some hardwoods (e.g. balsa) are softer than most softwoods, while yew is an example of a hard softwood.

Dan Masshardt

Box elder is a hardwood, holly softwood.

Both are soft or actual hardness to work with - what gimpy prob meant

Both holly and box elder should be fine or turning.

For holly, keep the tools sharp like was said above.

Also, you might consider getting it stabilized.

gimpy

Box elder is a hardwood, holly softwood.

Both are soft or actual hardness to work with - what gimpy prob meant

Both holly and box elder should be fine or turning.

For holly, keep the tools sharp like was said above.

Also, you might consider getting it stabilized.

Thanks for clearing that for me Dan. :)

knowltoh

Hardwood and hard wood are two different things! HARDWOOD means a deciduous tree...it loses it's leaves in the winter. SOFTWOOD is evergreen. HOWEVER, there are some verLatitude"]latitudes[/URL] they are some hardwoods (e.g. balsa) are softer than most softwoods, while yew is an example of a hard softwood.

WOW! Balsa is classified as a hardwood. I never woulrd have thought that. Interesting!

Jim Burr

Banned
Can you did your thumb nail into it? It's soft...it not, could be hard wood. If you have dull tools, anything is soft.

Top Bottom