Hole too large - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I drill (bore) my blanks on my Shopsmith using a PSI pen blank chuck. Using the same drill bit and technique, with square blanks, I can have a centered hole one time, and the very next blank will be off center. Or vice versa. Can't figure it out, but suspect it its something I am doing.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Have you ever measured the blanks? Are they always perfectly square?

After I reach Max drilling. I shut off the lathe wait for it to stop, THEN back out the bit. Then I turn the blank atound, and finish drilling from the other end. That way I'm only going in each end once. I have a cheap HF lathe, so it wobbles if I loosen the tailstock to back out while it's turning.

Last edited by Beautys_Beast; 11-05-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

TT, thanks. Will play around with it today. I have 10 pens for Christmas gifts. I looked at some of the blanks and they are perfect but can't remember if I drilled on the DP or lathe.
I have some 3/4x3/4 hardwood that I will experiment with and see what I can do.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURLMAN View Post
I drill (bore) my blanks on my Shopsmith using a PSI pen blank chuck. Using the same drill bit and technique, with square blanks, I can have a centered hole one time, and the very next blank will be off center. Or vice versa. Can't figure it out, but suspect it its something I am doing.
I also use my Shopsmith and have found that if the blank is not perfectly square my drilled hole may not be exactly in the center of the blank.
I also mark the center of the blank to see if the drill chuck has moved. I wish the tail stock was deeper than it is so as to prevent some of the movement at the Morse taper.
djrljr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

The lathe is not aligned perfectly, probably nothing you can do to the lathe, I always make mine a little longer and insert the tube from the exit end and remove the excess blank from the entrance end.
wouldentu2? is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I have drilled several pieces of acrylic and had no trouble. This one pen is getting to me! I drilled it on the lathe, as the others, but the hole is larger on one end than the other. When I inserted the tube, there is a big gap on one end of the blank. I checked some other blanks on the workbench and they have a snug fit. Keep in mind this bit is short and must be withdrawn, the quill cranked down and reinserted to finish a 2-1/4 blank for a Slimline. Your help is appreciated. I think I quit drinking too early.
Looking at Fisch bits as the instructor at my grandson's pen class said they are longer and work great for longer blanks.
Edit- I checked the quill travel and it is only 2-1/8 inches. If I back it up any more to get an extra 1/4 inch, the Jacobs chuck comes out.
I get the same thing on my damascus from time to time. it was from not clearing the bit enough. the shavings in the flutes act like sandpaper when jammed up. my solution was clear more as well as like ed says drill a pilot hole first. just my 2 cents worth.
Artisan iron designs is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
The lathe is not aligned perfectly, probably nothing you can do to the lathe, I always make mine a little longer and insert the tube from the exit end and remove the excess blank from the entrance end.
I would still have a big gap between the blank and the tube. I can see down in the blank and it would require a lot of CA to fill it. I'm thinking of going to Two Ton Epoxy that I used for installing fishing rod grips. It's thick and shouldn't run like thick CA.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautys_Beast View Post
... After I reach Max drilling. I shut off the lathe wait for it to stop, THEN back out the bit. Then I turn the blank atound, and finish drilling from the other end. That way I'm only going in each end once. I have a cheap HF lathe, so it wobbles if I loosen the tailstock to back out while it's turning.
What happens if the bit wanders or is off center when you begin drilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan iron designs View Post
I get the same thing on my damascus from time to time. it was from not clearing the bit enough. the shavings in the flutes act like sandpaper when jammed up. my solution was clear more as well as like ed says drill a pilot hole first. just my 2 cents worth.
I've suspected this on a few of mine. Thanks for clearing it up.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautys_Beast View Post
... After I reach Max drilling. I shut off the lathe wait for it to stop, THEN back out the bit. Then I turn the blank atound, and finish drilling from the other end. That way I'm only going in each end once. I have a cheap HF lathe, so it wobbles if I loosen the tailstock to back out while it's turning.
What happens if the bit wanders or is off center when you begin drilling?
Then your having a bad day. Always start drilling SLOWLY. Although I may start taking Ed's idea, and drilling a pilot hole first.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Woodchipper, I just recently had that problem with the hole getting larger at the entrance site. It was for a seam ripper blank, my quill does not travel far enough to get the bit all the way through, I have a Jet 1014VS. I backed out the bit, moved the quill closer to get through the blank, re-inserted the bit and the hole was oversized.

I fixed this by when I need to move the quill towards the headstock to have enough travel to get through longer blanks I put the drill bit into the hole before starting the lathe and that fixed my problem. That way you won't have to turn the blank around, I have had problems when I did that.
So just try, for longer blanks, to start the lathe up after you move the quill further to get the extra drilling length and put the bit into the hole before starting up. It worked for me, maybe it will solve your problem, good luck.
Tim.

Last edited by Tim'sTurnings; 11-06-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Tim'sTurnings is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads