Hole too large - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Hole too large

I have drilled several pieces of acrylic and had no trouble. This one pen is getting to me! I drilled it on the lathe, as the others, but the hole is larger on one end than the other. When I inserted the tube, there is a big gap on one end of the blank. I checked some other blanks on the workbench and they have a snug fit. Keep in mind this bit is short and must be withdrawn, the quill cranked down and reinserted to finish a 2-1/4 blank for a Slimline. Your help is appreciated. I think I quit drinking too early.
Looking at Fisch bits as the instructor at my grandson's pen class said they are longer and work great for longer blanks.
Edit- I checked the quill travel and it is only 2-1/8 inches. If I back it up any more to get an extra 1/4 inch, the Jacobs chuck comes out.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 11-05-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 4

It sounds like you have movement of the drill bit. Maybe either the quill is loose or maybe the tailstock is loose? Just my first thoughts.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll check them. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

I have run into the same problem from time to time. I have no idea what is causing it, but I have solved it by pre-drilling with a smaller bit (about a sixteenth smaller), then drilling the hole I want. The pre-drill seems to eliminate the problem with the final hole size.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

What lathe? Many small/inexpensive lathes do not have precisely ground/milled ways. The tail stock is not always coaxial and how close to coaxial it is varies.

I am not sure I understand your drilling procedure entirely. What do you mean the quill is cranked down then re-inserted?
JPW062 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Turn off lathe, Remove the bit, crank your tailstock back to starting depth, Turn blank around in the chuck, drill remaining half from the other end. While going back into the original hole, your either getting wobble, OR you are getting break out when the drill bit goes thru the far end. Just my guess. YMMV
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
you are getting break out
The larger hole is where the bit enters the blank when I first start drilling. Lathe is Rikon 70-050VS.
Quote:
I am not sure I understand your drilling procedure entirely. What do you mean the quill is cranked down then re-inserted?
The travel of the quill is too short even for a 2-1/2 inch blank. I have to stop the lathe, move the tailstock forward while cranking the quill back, then start drilling again.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 11-05-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

So it's wobble from going out and back in. Turning the blank and finishing drilling from the other side will help prevent this
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 41

I agree with Mark's suggestion.

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 172

I have the Rikon 70-220VS and ran into the same issue every time I drilled. I'm convinced the quill wobbles sometimes in the tailstock. Not much, but enough that pens can be a problem or if I'm drilling to use a 7/8" or 1" IX collet. I snugged the allen screw on the front side of the tailstock down into the quill so it wouldn't move, then backed it off just enough for the quill to move smoothly. Whenever I drill, I tighten the quill lever down then back it off just enough that the quill will advance then start the hole very slowly. This helps out a lot, but I still get the bad hole from time to time.
Logged on members can hide ads