Hmmm... if we could just get some of these parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I have a corporate account with Schmidt and would be glad to handle the ordering if someone wants to pursue a group purchase. I also have a parts list (I think) if anyone is interested.

I'll be glad to get the ball rolling by making another inquiry to Schmidt for minimum order quantities, delivery estimates, etc.

A few questions:

• First, how long ago was it, Billy, that you tried contacting Schmidt?
  • Second, is there interest across the entire array of Schmidt's products (i.e, mechanisms, fountain pen parts, refills) or is the interest just in a certain area?
  • Third, does Lou have a suggested contact for me to approach to get the basic information needed to put a group buy together?

vick

I checked into this several years ago and even got them to send me some samples of their fountain pen parts. I was not impressed with the quality I recieved from them.
XcutBubingaOpen.jpg

This is a picture of the pen I made from their sample parts.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

[*]Third, does Lou have a suggested contact for me to approach to get the basic information needed to put a group buy together?[/list]

Mike - I will email you my latest information tonight. I may already have everything you need and if not I can get it within a business day or so. I order from the fairly regularly.

alamocdc

Mike, it's been a month or so... maybe even three with my memory.[:I] My interest spanned more than just FP parts, but not necessarily the breadth of the catalog.

Thanks for getting back to me, Billy and Lou. When I looked through the .pdf that Lee posted the link to, I was taken by the variety of pen mechanisms. It seems that being able to get one's hands on them would open the door to some new possibilities. Then again, I still don't have experience with more than a handful of kits to know what I'm doing yet.

Mike, it'd be good to hear some more from you about your quality concerns with the parts you received from Schmidt. Are you referring to plating issues, fit, etc.?

vick

Mike, it'd be good to hear some more from you about your quality concerns with the parts you received from Schmidt. Are you referring to plating issues, fit, etc.?

Sorry I did not go into more detail. The number on eissue I had with the quality is the feed and the nib had very poor fit (loose) which led to some leaking and very poor writing performance. Actually a nib from a Jr Gent fit in well though.
The may I made mine their is not much plated parts showing so have no idea how the plating hold up.

With the way they make their "kits" besides the snap cap (which is what I had) you would need some method of making threaded parts to secure the cap. At the time no clips were available through them so if you wanted a clip for you pen you would need to get them from some other source.

I have not browsed their catalog for a while thought, so things might have changed. If the parts were better quality then I was getting through the higher end kits, I would be interested in going through the hassle. But it was easier for me to modify the existing kits to make what I want.

Top Bottom