historical wood blow out........ratz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

Today I turned a piece of Shawshank wood. A friend ordered the wood online and asked me to make his wife a pen.
What a piece of s*** wood, knotted and a crack, I thought I got around the crack, but as I was sanding, I saw a flash and sure enough a small blow out on the upper tube, also the center of the knot was hollow at size.

Now I have to figure out how to fix it.

I also ordered 4 pieces of the wood for me and they were worse than his, I find it hard to believe that they would sell this crap at such a premium.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Today I turned a piece of Shawshank wood. A friend ordered the wood online and asked me to make his wife a pen.
What a piece of s*** wood, knotted and a crack, I thought I got around the crack, but as I was sanding, I saw a flash and sure enough a small blow out on the upper tube, also the center of the knot was hollow at size.

Now I have to figure out how to fix it.

I also ordered 4 pieces of the wood for me and they were worse than his, I find it hard to believe that they would sell this crap at such a premium.

I'm guessing you should have it stabilized!

mecompco

The two Shawshank blanks I've turned thus far were fine. Have you contacted the seller? I've given thought to buying some more, but not if the quality of whats left is poor.

knowltoh

That's one of my favorite movies. I would love a couple of blanks, but not if they are as described. Do you have contact info for the source?

mecompco

It is oak--no need to stabilize--at least the ones I got are rock solid. They do need to be dried--I use a toaster oven at low heat. The two pens I've made and put on Etsy sold quickly (on Pro-X kits). Got to get some more tubed up!

RaymondScott

Contact the seller. So far I've turned 14 pens out of the Shawshank oak, and only had an issue with one. It had some bark inclusion so I just had to take my time and used a lot of CA, but it turned out well. The seller told be if I wasn't happy he would replace the blank.
FB_IMG_1499656441436 by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited:
Top Bottom