His or Hers? Pen design question for the experts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

This might sound like a goofy question,but since I am so new at this,I'm hoping someone can steer me straight.

As a background to my question here,is I have been making Slimline pens and giving them to friends & relatives as I go along.I like the feeling I get when I give them away,and I'm sure they are not good enough to feel good about selling them.

So I made a husband & wife each a pen,and sent them off. His was a not a slimline,but a flat top pen ( I struggle with making those ) and to me it looked more "Manly" since it had black & Chrome,and was just more bigger looking.

Her's was a smaller,more tulip-looking pen made out of some pretty red Paduak,& to me seemed more like a women's pen (having smaller hands.)

So they asked if it was alright to switch between the two,which of course is,and she said her's looked too masculine.

My question is then, are there any hard rules in the shape of the pen,or the type of pen,or materials,etc.,that you Penturners follow when coming up with a pen for someone you know?

Since so many of you here sell your pens,have you noticed any trends between what pens a guy would buy,vs.a gal?

Thanks for any feedback.I appreciate all the expert help here on the IAP!

Steve
San Diego

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerrySambrook

The only hard rule I can think of is there are no rules in this part of the game except:

1) when it comes to a pink pen, there is a certain tight-wearing prominent individual on this forum whose supposed scoffs them all up. Something about finding the perfect match to the color of the tights.:tongue:

Other than that, nope, it is the hands of the "customer" to decide what is "write" and wrong.

Jerry

Rangertrek

I made a Secptre pen in Tru-Stone, it was big and a little heavy. A very nice lady bought it, for herself! She wanted a pen that would make a "statement".

I have sold many slimlines to men because they wanted a smaller diameter pen.

The only pens that are really directed to the Ladies are the PSI "Charm Pens".

You can never really tell what a person may want.

JimB

I have actually figured this out. Whatever I think will be the right pen for someone will be wrong. I don't even try to figure it out any more.

Bree

If you want to know how someone feels about something or what they think... don't speculate or ask others... ask the person directly! Women will consistently surprise. Come to think of it, experience shows that men will too!! So just ask. Showing some samples is always a good way to prompt a reaction.
:wink::wink::wink:

Mark

I found I need to ask the person getting the pen. Through casual conversation, I found out a female co-worker of mine preferred the large heavier feel of a Cigar to the Slimline I had in mind for her. Since that Christmas present, I've made her a Wall St as her Birthday present. She now preferred the Wall St. to the Cigar. It has the weight, but not the larger barrel size. Now I ask, in a round about way.

My wife has always said she likes the feel of a Slimline style pen. Since trying my new Wall St, she wants several of them instead.

Toni

My husband for a gift got a circuit board pen, he is a computer IT nerd and he would rather be seen with a purple rose pen.

bgibb42

I think everybody else hit it right on the nose. You just can't tell what somebody will like. My father-in-law, who has huge hands, really likes the skinny, bushing to bushing slimline, whereas my wife, who does not have large hands, really like the Sedonas and Sierras. Go figure.

Top Bottom