Hi all

What do you all do with the 1 1/2" x 3/4" bits you cut off

Do you make segments with them Or something like diamondwood Or what

And How [8D]

Any hints and tips would be appreciated for a newbie

Mick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

you could build a jig and make mismatched dice....barring that, Rick, er MR Rick, gives good advice...I use a shoebox so I can just throw the whole thing away when it's full;)

txbob

Glue them end-to-end, turn the piece round, and finish it with whatever finish you normally use, doing a good job on the finish.

You now have a "sample stick" to show potential customers what those kinds of wood will look like when turned and finished for a pen.

txbob

igran7

I save the most interesting pieces and use them for inlay work, or centerbands on Euro & slimlines (I'm not fond of the metal centerbands on those pens) The rest I just throw away. I used to save everything, but eventually I was overwhelmed with the amount of little pieces everywhere! [:0]

rherrell

Originally posted by txbob

Glue them end-to-end, turn the piece round, and finish it with whatever finish you normally use, doing a good job on the finish.

You now have a "sample stick" to show potential customers what those kinds of wood will look like when turned and finished for a pen.

txbob

HEY,GREAT IDEA! Dang, gotta start savin' 'em again.[8D]:D
Forget what I said, Mick.:D

micklen

Well some good ideas already

But
As a newbie
There's not much how [:I]

3 questions

How do you make the centerbands??

What glue would you use for gluing them together I use Titebond polyurethane for my tubes

HOW would you turn them to beads???
I have yet to become the proud owner of a 4 jaw chuck, something I hope to purchase when go to The States for my first ever visit in 57 years this June

Mick

M

monkeynutz

I throw them toward the trash can, missing it 90% of the time. Then I invariably step on one of them, and after my foot heals, I go pick them up... :D

RonSchmitt

Originally posted by micklen

HOW would you turn them to beads???
I use a set of slimline bushings for uniformity, and just turn them like a VERY short pen. Gives me a place to practice finishes without messing up something. He has come up with some interesting combo's for his necklaces using "scrap".

OldWrangler

With all the acrylic scraps I glue them up at all different angles then cut back across them and add in spacers and just make a pen of all kinds of different segments. My granddaughter is a teacher in a day-care center and once a month they have a kinda craft show to raise money for the school. I will donate 5-6 of these pens and have have been selling them real good. Kids like the bright colors and crazy quiltwork on the pens but I think some of the Moms buy them for themselves. Been getting $20 each.

fafow

txbob, that is a great idea! I'll have to look at making a few sample sticks of what I have. It certainly helps the potential buyer when choosing wood for a custom pen. Never thought of that.

pipeyeti

I use mine for segments if they are good. Or throw them at the garbage can I miss alot. The ones that end up on the floor become the property of "piper" my shop mate. She is a beagle/bassethound mix ( bagel) she loves to play with them chasing them around the shop floor.:D

great12b4ever

Someof the more stable ones, if you have enough are good for making segmented like the herringbone patterns, and the morning after. I also glue several together into a patchwork quilt pattern, making them into 1.5" x 1.5" by whatever length I need and make Christmas ornaments out of them. If you have some 3/4" x 1.5" pieces or thereabouts, glue four together and make a bottle stopper. A couple of them glued end grain and then drilled out for a long dowel makes a good wand handle for the kids. Hope these ideas help. By the way, LOML calls me the "Original Pack-Rat."

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I often use the scraps when rounding my blanks. If I think the material is too soft to withstand the sharp points on the centres, I'll just glue a scrap bit on each end.
Ed Davidson ( YoYospin) did the same in one of his videos. That's where I got the idea from.

Top Bottom