Highest quality finish on pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mpex

What finish in general is the most durable in a pen kit? I've been disappointed with many of the kits I've been getting. The gold Euros from WC (both the standard and wc versions) seem to wear off after carrying for a coupe weeks! Recently got a jr gent I in Chrome; the black off the decorative ring has worn off of half after carrying in my pants pocket for 2 weeks. There is chrome worn off of the top cap as well. Looks like brass underneath. I'm not the most gentle with my EDC, but I want people to carry and use my pens, not keep them in their desks. And I don't want dissatisfied customers or a bunch of returns when I sell them.

Also, how about a few recommendations for high quality kits (or I could just use the search button at the top ;))

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't think your pants pockets would be as rough a place for a pen as mine. But I could never feel good about a pen in a pants pocket. Have fun And hope you find what you want.

Boz

Put a pen in your pants pocket and the next thing you know you have change, keys and lots of other stuff in there all rubbing on your fine finish. I have an old Zippo that I have carried in my pants pocket for years. Sure does not look like new but it still works and probably will for my grandson.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well in my pants pocket a pen would share space with a zippo lighter, my pocket knife, change, small parts of various description, or my metal credit card wallet... to be honest I'd expect it to be pretty beat up in pretty short order.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The most durable finish is probably stainless steel which might be solid rather than plated - In which case you might knick it or scratch it but it will never wear off.
That would followed by Gold Titanium Nitride it is marginally better than Black Titanium Nitride.

Next is Rhodium and/or Chrome it can be debated which of those wears better but they're close to equal.

Following them is Black Chrome and Gun Metal with Black Chrome being marginally better.

Now, there are probably some who will disagree with my list. So I will say that the above is an informed opinion and not cast in concrete.

There are also certain other elements that can be added to the finish fomulae to increase the hardness and resistance to wear of some of the softer, more wear prone metals --- some add a little iridium, I think I've seen some say they add cobalt etc....most of those are proprietary and you'd have to actually put them to the test to learn much about them.

Top Bottom