Higher quality slimline alternatives - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Higher quality slimline alternatives

Hi all, just wanted to get your opinions on pen kits that are higher quality than slimlines but somewhat similar.

The things I like about slimlines is the sleek profile and high percentage of wood vs components, with their ability to really shape the profile how I see fit.

So basically, I'm looking for recommendations for ball point kits that are a good replacement for slimlines.

I can't stand sierra style or the bolt actions with the bullet casing shaped barrel/nib.

If my attempt at attaching a picture works, you will see a couple of my pens. A slimline with the profile I find most comfortable to write with (very slight bulge to the front of the lower barrel, straight the rest of the way) and 'monogram' pen (also called a tech pen by other retailers) which I should have made straighter. I'll end up disassembling it and turning it into a straight barrel rather than the bulged one.
Attached Thumbnails
img_20171229_184226_347.jpg  
JP1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 15

I am in the process of trying different brands of slimlines. Just bought some dayacom slims from Exotic blanks. So far I think I prefer them. I like the finish better and the transmission seems smoother in the few that I have.
I really like the slimline pro Click pen also.
Brotherdale is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

Yuo can buy all the components seperately if you look around. WoodnWhimsies has everything you need. Or Buy 10 inch long 7mm tubes and make the bottom longer if you want and just push the tranny in the tube farther using a kits hardware if you find a kit you like. Is the Euro style pen something you could use?
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out the Dayacom slimlines, not sure where the best place to source them in Australia is but if I can't find somewhere, the next time I order specialty blanks from exoticblanks I'll have to add those to the order.

Exotic blanks are a fantastic company, but shipping to Australia is nightmarishly expensive!

The Euro is worth looking at. I'm not totally sold on the aesthetic based on the pictures but I think I would have to hold one to truly see if I like it.

I did just stumble across the Executive Clicker pen which is available in a Rhodium plating (my favourite plating)
Executive Clicker Pen Kits - Timberbits - Made in Taiwan

Slightly thicker than I prefer but might be worth a shot, as it would really show off your wood
JP1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Are you familiar with Gary Pye Woodturning Supplies in NSW as an Australian option?
Brian G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Check out Timberbits. It's an Australian pen supply company with great products, prices and service.

John
USN (Ret)
Carolina Piedmont Chapter
walshjp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 17

For a click pen, try the Tempest. Made by Beaufort ink, sold by signature pen supply. For a twist pen, I really like the Zoe.
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

On a related note, I've always wanted the premium designer kit to be offered in a better plating than 24kt gold. I made one a while back and it seemed like a good kit.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMONT2PAR.html

For your question, what is it about the slimline that you don't like? If it's plating quality I believe there are upgrade options available like the Titanium Nitride stuff. If it's the writing quality you can get upgrade refills, including official Cross refills, that really help in that area (I would argue it's as important as the outer pen body). If it's the design then you have a lot of freedom to change it, the slimline is probably the most versatile kit in the hobby (search for slimline contests on here to see what I mean). If it's the twist transmission, which I would agree is one of the weakest parts of the kit, then you do have the option to shop around and find higher quality replacement transmissions. I never actually did that last one myself, but I'm confident there are really good ones out there.

Hope this helps a little.

5th place 2014 tube-on casting contest.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 6

The concava is a not a bad pen. I sold many to ladies, but it is not just for ladies.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
The concava is a not a bad pen. I sold many to ladies, but it is not just for ladies.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Tony, does the Concava have a “pivoting” clip or a fixed clip? I turned a Princess kit last night in which the clip kind of pivots or flexes within the cap. Liked that feature and clip looks similar to what is on the Concava, which I have never held.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads