High speed carvers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Sometime ago I thought I read about some people here that use high speed carvers to do inlaying work and carving in their pens. Was I correct and maybe someone can either tell me where to look for the posts or tell me about the tool they use and maybe an example of their work. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I used an exacto knife to carve this one.

Image Insert:
2007427135828_Celtic%20Knot%20Close%20up.jpg

Image Insert:
tic%20Knot%20Irish%20Bog%20Oak%20and%20Yellowheart.jpg

This one I used a powercrafter rotary carver and a woodburner.

Image Insert:
2531413_IBO%20and%20Maple%20Carved%20Celtic%20Knot.jpg

MDWine

A dremel tool should be powerful enough, the detail comes from the bit or tool you use to carve with... lots of options/choices!

ADVICE: carve SLOWLY and only remove small amounts of material, it's very hard to put that wood back in there!! DAMHIKT

workinforwood

I prefer the Fordom powercarver myself. More torque, lasts a lifetime and comes with a comfortable grip, but can be replaced with several optional grips for even more comfort and control. Can handle any carving job, although not necessarily the best tool for any job, such as a chain saw would be better on a tree, but the foredom can still do it if you have the patience and some big hogging bits.

20082117337_DSC01908.jpg

200821173345_DSC01914.jpg

marionquill

I use a dremel with very tiny bits, though the smallest I have is too big for fine detail. I don't have any pictures but I recently did one for an elementary school music teacher with music notes on it. It came out great but I think a better job could have been done with a scroll saw and number 2 blade to cut the fine detail in, while also making the note on both sides of the pen. If you use a dremel, get the smallest bit set you can, woodcraft sells them and try it out on something large, like a cigar pen first. Just get it round and then hit it with the dremel to get a feel for the size of the cuts. You can make some very nice inlays, like the one Jeff posted above, it's fairly easy and people love them. I've sold several pens with paw prints, women seem to really be drawn to them...

I have two of these sets: http://www.cporotarytools.com/rotary_tools/400_series_xpr/400-6-90.html
And here is a great site for bits if you don't like the sets at woodcraft: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-burr-cutter

Jason

Top Bottom