high quality pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Dick, that's a fairly broad question. What do you want to write with? A fountain, roller, ball pen. pencil? Big pen small pen?

Anyway, I think the Statesmen & Statesmen Jr. are the best ones for me. Screw cap, nice finish and detail on the trim pieces.

Anthony

mapletree

Anthony
Your'e right that was a rather vague question. I was thinking of the slimline type and looking at it from a machinists point of view. The smoothest threads, the closest tolerences and mechanically will last the longest. Seems like when spending the extra time to turn the most beatiful wood one should be using the highest quality pen kits. Started turning a couple years ago but haven't had time to experiment with more than the $2 slimelines. Appreciate the comments from eveyone.
Thanks.....Dick

dougle40

To my knowledge there's not much difference in slimline kits other than the quality of the finish on the exposed parts (24k , 10k , brushed satin etc.) . I've used kits from various manufacturers and can't really tell the difference in quality , as far as the mechanical standpoint is concerned , and I"ve yet to have one fail .

Rudy Vey

You have to define better what type of pen you mean:
1. ball point
2. pencil
3. rollerball
4. fountain pen

Everyone here has a certain preference and I will tell you mine.
1. I like the double twist type pens from Berea, especially the American style Flat top pen (so-called Parker style), and I tell you why:
the twist mechanism is the very best I ever came across, it is very long lasting, I have a pen in daily use now for about 2 years and I am one of those who constantly play with their pens, like twisting the refill in and out all day long.
This pen can be easily repaired if needed.
My second choice is the Perfect Fit Convertible pen also from Berea, here I also like the smooth mechanism and the choice of using it as a ball point or as a pencil, just by changing the mechanism

2. pencil, see before the Perfect Fit Convertible as a pencil.
Have not had much luck with pencils that have the clicking mechanisms

3. For a rollerball my first choice now is the Baron, I think it is at this time the best kit on the market for RB's. This is closely followed by the Gent-type pens (the juniors and the seniors and their off spring Statesman, which I have not used yet). Also the El Grande and the streamlined version are very nice, although the latter one is not an easy pen for beginners.

4. Fountain pens, see what I said for the rollerball section, all of these pens are available as fountain pens. One other kit comes to mind and that is the Regency Fountain Pen, this I think is a great kit, but it takes a lot of work and not too many here or on the yahoo site have made those. Reason for this is there are no bushings available, they have to be made yourself, also the section part of the pen is wood and the two end finials (cap and pen body) have to be made from wood. The one thing I do not like on this pen is that it is a snap cap pen, and I do not like snap caps.

This was pretty long, but I think it gave you a good idea!

Rudy
SE Michigan

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Shane,
I don't know if you belong to the Yahoo group as well as this one. Rich K who runs the Yahoo group has done some work with the Regency. Try an archive search; I think he may have done a tutorial on it at some point.

woodscavenger

Who sells it?
BTW...I belong to the Yahoo group, but unless I am missing something/software the threads are really a pain in the tailpipe to read. I rarely visit because of that.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Rudy, where is the Regency pen from? Never heard of that one but it sounds interesting.

I think it can be had from Woodchuckers (?) in Canada, I bought some kits off ebay and Rich Kleinhenz had a very good article in the woodturning magazine some time ago. The original kit may be even come from England (Craft Supplies UK), they have also some other kits like the Ambassador.
I am at work now, but will check tonight at home and post info here.

Rudy
SE Michigan

Rudy Vey

Here is the link, it was Woodchuckers in Canada:
http://www.woodchuckers.com/pens.htm

If you want to see a regency fountain pen, go to my photo album, I will up load a new picture in the next five minutes.
Rudy
SE MI

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Rudy,
Thanks for bailing me out on my reply. I told all I knew when I referred to Rich K. Awesome work on the Regency in your album! I truly love fountain pens, and the Regency lives up to its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom