High Quality Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russb

I have a prospective customer looking for me to make a pen with a solid metal clip. Most all kits I use have a clip that looks like it is stamped out of sheet metal. Some are better / thicker than others. This customer showed me an old Hallmark Cards pen that has a clip that looks like it is cut from a solid piece of metal. Does anyone know of a source for kits or clips that might fit this standard. I know of most specialty clips in the catalogs. I hope someone knows of a source that not so common to most of us.

Thanks to all in advance.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Russ,
From what I understand, most of the precious metals from which the kits are most commonly made are too soft to work well as a solid metal clip. For example, both solid gold and solid silver, when drawn to the thicknesses that we usually see in clips, are very soft and will easily deform and/or break under even "normal operating conditions". That's part of why most of the clips we get are plated - harder metal underneath for strength (and cost reduction) and softer, more expensive metal on top for looks.

Johnathan

Well, if you're wanting a full clip, most of the upper-end pens that CSUSA sells have closed backs to the clip. I know that the Woodcraft kits do have the stamped clips and it looks a little on the cheap side. Hope this is what you were asking. This is not a solid piece of metal but is is closed.

gerryr

The clips on the Baron, Jr. Statesman/Gentleman, and Havana look like solid metal to me. I would assume that's also true for the Emperor and the new kits from CSUSA. I don't recall the clip on the Churchill and don't have one with me.

Berea has a few kits that are solid sterling silver rather than just plated. I don't know how accurate my catalog is, but it shows an El Grande FP and a Flattop American ballpoint in sterling silver.

Russb

I should clarify. I understand the clips are plated and not solid precious metals. I am sure the Hallmark pen is gold plated. Instead of looking stamped and/or rolled the clip looks like a square piece of metal cut from a solid blank. My customer is also just interested in ballpoint or rollerball. I thank everyone for their input. Keep those ideas coming. My customer is going to try to contact Hallmark to see if they will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom