High Quality Clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Is there such a thing? I have turned most of the under $20 clicker kits (approx. 8mm through Cigar dimensions), but they all feel somewhat cheaply made and the refill can be heard rattling around a bit.

Just so this doesn't become a debate on the definition of "high quality" within the context of the post, this is what I mean:

• A sturdy and reliable clicker mechanism
  • A collection of parts that are commonly found on a $30 plus kit
  • Higher-end finishes
I am not looking for a way to resolve the rattling. I am looking for a clicker aligned in style and quality with the $25 to $50.

I also understand the price is not always related to quality and reliability. I am trying to keep this post focused.

Thanks for any opinions/guidance on the matter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Have you tried the Compson from PSI yet? I made one of them recently & I really like the feel of the clicker on this one. I also like the Vertex clicker.

TonyL

Thank you. I tried all but the Compson. My experience with the others is very similar to the others.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
The Compson clicker has a real nice sturdy feel to it and it allows a fairly meaty blank. I also think that the clicker looks good on this pen - not the case with some of the other clickers.

Here's the one I made with the sweet gum blank from BobsPenFactory recently. It's my main desk pen at work these days.

Attachments

• SweetGumPodsOnCompsonb.jpg
    SweetGumPodsOnCompsonb.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 325

jttheclockman

The Compson clicker has a real nice sturdy feel to it and it allows a fairly meaty blank. I also think that the clicker looks good on this pen - not the case with some of the other clickers.

Here's the one I made with the sweet gum blank from BobsPenFactory recently. It's my main desk pen at work these days.

That does look like a decent clicker. Where did you get the kit???

flyitfast

Sorry, no pictures but I've made several and really like the kit and the looks.
The kit comes from PSI. It isn't expensive but it does look good. I like the feel of the click - a little like the Vertex but solid.
I plan to use this kit to make a 15 pen order using wood from the old farm where all the cousins used to play. The Compson kit will be used because of the good clicker and the way it features more of the material.
Gordon-

Last edited:

wyone

Have you tried Smittys LeRoi V2 Click? I have turned several and they are pretty nice. I had an issue with my first one, because I did not understand the instructions. Smitty responded immediately to help and it works great now.

Karl_99

The Long Clicker from CSUSA is a very good clicker.

On another note, I agree that the Compson looks nice, but I have experienced numerous quality problems with the clicker mechanisms. I do not offer them any longer.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

That does look like a decent clicker. Where did you get the kit???
Compson is a PSI kit John

My favorite click pens are the PSI Vertex and the Clicker from CSUSA.

I am a BIG fan of the smooth click mechanism on the Vertex. It's been mirrored on some other pen kits but "there's nothing like the original".

I also like the Clicker but it has a bit of a more traditional mechanism. Robust and louder.

The mechanisms on both of those kits are actually plastic. I'm not aware of any kits with non-plastic mechanisms. I don't see that as a negative but some folk may.

bjbear76

I've not had good luck with the vertex (and people don't seem to like the hexagon nib). But I have very good results with the stratus....both reliability and sales.

79spitfire

I like the long clicker and the arrow clicker from CSUSA. I've also experimented with making my own using the Schmidt clicker buttons from Richard Greewald.
I've also had good luck with the basic 'slimline' click, but they can be hit or miss. I do find they are great for single barrel conversions, where you have a nice long blank.

CSUSA has an 'Artisan' click that looks like the conventional click, but is a Dayacom kit. I've done 2 so far, only problem is they only come in gold finishes.

keithbyrd

I have made, sold and used several sierra click pens - not the one's that take an adapter and have found them to be smooth and reliable - no complaints from customers. I like the vertex too I just don't like the frailty of the button. Ted told me how to fix them but I really like pens you don't have to fix!

79spitfire

Of all clicker pens, I've had the most trouble with Sierra click pens. I think it's because my customers are a bit on the... Ham fisted side!

magpens

Quite frankly, I don't understand how the Stratus sells at all. The clip is the most flimsy I have seen on any pen kit. A real screw-up by PSI, IMHO.

I do like the Vertex and have had no trouble with it. I don't mind doing the fix on the button plunger, but still wish I didn't have to. I like the length of the barrel and the smooth click mechanism.

Have had no trouble whatsoever with the Sierra clicker in 5 years of making them. Really like them except for the old styling.

I've not had good luck with the vertex (and people don't seem to like the hexagon nib). But I have very good results with the stratus....both reliability and sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom