High Gloss finish without CA HUT&EEE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hiharry626

In my woodshop class, I've been using
HUT crystal coat & EEE- Ultra shine paste, paste first then the crystal coat
after I'm done applying it, once I start to assemble the finish dulls quickly and becomes less shiny.
I also have thick CA glue, I've tried using it, but too messy for me is there any alternatives I could use with the HUT and EEE? Like boiled linseed oil?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
No friction polish is going to give you a durable finish. When I started I used Crystal Coat and wasn't happy with it. I found Shellawax or Mylands to be far better. If you want a durable finish and don't want to use CA try General Finishes Woodturners Finish. I've been using it and like it. It's also fast drying which should be good if your using it in class.

Deft brush on lacquer is my alternate choice to CA. Rarely use the alternative, though. You must have a clean space and brush and time as it only takes 20 minutes to dry to touch but you may have to try several coats to be dust free.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Wipe on poly doesnt add much thickness, regular poly can be built up over several layers. I have pens that are over 10 years old with poly finishes. They hold up well. Drs Woodshop friction polishes will build to a soft shine and are holding up on the daily desk pen I use. Friction polishes will not give you the hard gloss shine of C/A. my problems with poly/laquers are the dust free enviroment. You might look into using a dip method with poly.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Home Depot ,any paint store, or in the paint department area, Lowes. there are several brands. Wipe on poly is usually regular poly cut in half with mineral spirits. You can make your own out of regular poly that way. lots of info on Google.

Top Bottom