High End Platings Are...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

NOT Created Equal!:curse:

Upon the recommendations of quite a few people on here, I bought from a new (to me) supplier. I like the high end platings like gold ti, black ti and rhodium. This supplier happens to have the cheapest prices on Black Ti kits around. So imagine my surprise to open my 2nd kit to find the plating coming off of the nib and clip. I messed the nib up on the first kit by somehow pressing the nib in too hard and smooshing it. Which in itself is weird since out of the hundred or so kits of all platings I have never done that. And the replacement nib is that one that has the plating coming off. I have not yet notified the supplier since it is midnight here but I will be calling him in the morning. I guess I just had to rant a little. I had to wait over two weeks for these kits and then the plating is messed up. Hopefully, since I ordered extras I will be able to replace the parts with parts from other kits. I really need to get this order out to my customer. I will try to get pictures tommorrow of the plating so you guys can see what I see. I will also let you know what the supplier says tommorrow. Thanks for letting me rant a little.:frown::mad:

Edit: Upon closer look it appears to be pitting rather then plating flaking off. I think the Black Ti are not plated. But I don't have a magnifier.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Edit: Upon closer look it appears to be pitting rather then plating flaking off. I think the Black Ti are not plated. But I don't have a magnifier.

All parts are plated, unless they are plastic. Hit any part with a grinder and you'll find brass under there somewhere.

I recall several people having pitting issues on some of the platinum/Rhodium pens. Not sure about the Ti's.

rjwolfe3

Here is a photo. It's poor but I'm still learning this whole photo thing.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 016c.jpg
    016c.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 280

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
wow .. that looks nasty. Hopefully you have enough to complete the
order, but a call to the supplier is definitely in order. Granted, he didn't make
them, but the supplier should stand behind them.

That looks like a cigar nib. I might have some black ti kits in the shop if
you need some in a pinch.

rjwolfe3

Well, so far no answer from the supplier. I had to email him because calling would be hard with the time zone difference and my work schedule. I had enough out of the kits to make the ones I need. Ended up with two bad clips and nibs. Will see what the supplier says.

Top Bottom