High end kits vs custom pens ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Ok, I understand that there is no "RIGHT" answer to this, but I'm just looking for some discussion on which would be perceived as being more "valuable" or would tend to sell for a higher price using identical materials.

For example. Using a nice piece of high end material, Ebonite, bakelite, imported resin,ect. which would you expect to bring a higher price, OR be considered a good purchase by an experienced collector. A top end kit pen, like an emperor or lotus, OR a semi custom closed end or hidden clip pen based on a kit, say a gent or Churchill, OR a fully custom kit-less pen built around a Schafer section with a button fill or something similar? Why? Assuming of course a comparable level of near perfect fit and finish, ect. Is there an appreciable difference in the possible pool of purchasers at that price point between the options? Would most collectors see the first option as just another turn and assemble kit pen? or the last option as a "plain Jane" pen without the metal trim? Are there many pen buyers out there that see anything other than a recognizable model of collectible vintage pen as "too new to mess with"?

Any input or experiences appreciated.

James

OKLAHOMAN

James, your right there is no right or wrong answer, but in my opinion it would be determined by the venue. If your at a "Pen Show" I would say a complete custom would sell better than a semi custom and both would sell better than a component (kit) pen as you have a very knowledgeable buying base. If your at a Art or Craft show a completely different customer base and components (what you call kits)would out sell a custom pen if presented to the end user correctly. I sell at mostly higher end Art shows and take 250-300 pens and show around 150 at a time, now if they were all custom or semi custom the time in producing them would be 10- 20 fold and therefore would be cost prohibited. If we would STOP calling our pens "KITS" we would find that they become higher end and will sell for more and quicker.
Thats my 2 pennies worth.....

Last edited:

arioux

A kit is a series of metal and plstic parts that you put together around a turned barel made of some sort of material. A basic Mont-BLanc is a serie of metal and plastic part put togheter around a turned barel of some sort of material.

Agree with Roy, it's time we should stop calling our pens "made from kit"

Just my 2 cents (Canadian ones so count 1.8 cents !:)

bitshird

I agree with Roy, particularly about referring to our "Components" as kits. when asked at shows, I explain the differences in the "Components" and never as kits.
Same as at different Venues, I've never been in a position to attend a Pen Show, but I have had several customers that are Fountain Pen Aficionados, they know the difference, oddly enough they both liked my Churchill's and El Grandes more than the Emperors and Lotus, Art shows are cool and people seem to like the more Ornate pens at those, I sold 2 Emperors at one show last November, first time I'd sold two high end pens in one day.

Top Bottom