Hiding the tube in laser inlay kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I've got a bunch of laser inlay kits but I haven't made any yet. Now I'm ready to take the plunge! However, I've read some threads where some folks could see the brass tube in the cracks between the inlay pieces. I've heard that some folks paint the tubes black while others CA sanding dust into the cracks, but I have yet to hear anything definitive.

So what say the masses? What's the best method for NOT seeing the tube in the cracks between pieces of a laser inlay kit? :confused:

Thanks, all!! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

I have not heard of that problem before. The 10 or so that I have done have been tight kits. Are there any specific design inlay kits that you know of? Would painting the tube help? I have never heard of using charcoal but I would like to learn more as I have a bunch of inlay to turn.

robersonjr

I too have made multiple kits, all from Ken at Kallanshaanwoods and have never had a problem. I would agree that if there is a oose fitting part, charcols dust applied prior to CA application would be a good filler if you want the lines to be black which most are or you could use flour or any color power with CA and achieve the result you are looking for. Good luck. Robbie

louie68

I can recommend using a china marker pencil charcoal/black color if needed just rub it in before ca coat. China marker is like a string you remove around the pencil.works great if needed, I made numerous inlays from Contants Lazer his inlays are super great!

G1Pens

I rub charcoal into the cracks before applying CA

I should clarify....I use the charcoal to fill in small gaps in the inlay. I have done kits from Kallanshaanwoods and LazerLinez and have never had a problem with the tubes showing. The kits are always very tight. The charcoal is probably not even necessary but is more of a precaution. It is a tip I got from a very experience inlay turner.

cwolfs69

i have competed kits from several vendors and never had that problem. i have however intentionally sanded the inserts to create a small gap and filled with colored epoxy resin for effect. but even then prior to filling gaps i could not see the tube without squinting.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've done laser kits from several suppliers and at times can see the tube. Most of the time I use powered charcoal or sanding dust to fill the gaps. You could also paint the tube.

76winger

I've done several styles from Laserlinez now and and a few from Kallanshaan and Have only had a real problem with one style so far. I initially had brass showing through on my very first one, a pink ribbon one, and that's because I didn't know what I was doing and I sanded the edges of the ribbon because I though I was going to break it during assembly. I also messed up my first stars & stripes pen and learned from that experience to always dip small parts I'm inserting in to the body in water first. The wet, softened wood slides in place MUCH easier.

The only one I've seen repeated gap issues on is the Horseshoe bodies from Kallanshaan, in particular for me, the blue ones from Woodturningz (and I've only done a couple). On the two I've done, both had some gaps along the flat edge of the filler piece that goes inside the horseshoes.

To keep the brass from showing on those I've put some paint down in the gaps, trying to match the color of the wood, since it's supposed to look solid at that point. For others that I've been able to glue up without need for the brass tube to be in place at the time of gluing it all together, I've painted the inside of the body as a precautionary measure.

beck3906

Having done several laser kits, I feel it's not worht the risk of tube showing through. I always paint the tubes and then tint the epoxy when gluing in the tube.

Top Bottom