The hidden pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

Now I know why it's easier to have more pen blanks than pen kits. It's because sometimes the blanks are better looking just being blanks than they are being part of a pen.
So I'm starting to appreciate that not only is there an art and skill to the turning and to matching a particular pen kit to a particular blank, but there must also be an art/skill in trying to visualize what the blank will look like after it's turned. Or is there some degree of luck as to what's hidden on the inside of some blanks?
Certainly this concept really only pertains to blanks like the worthless wood blanks by Exotic Blanks, some acrylics, and the burls and spalted blanks that seem to trick you since it's hard to know if the inside looks like the outside.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Some of it is luck. I turned what I thought was going to be a nice mesh blank. From all outward signs it looked great. When I turned it, I found that half the blank no longer had the mesh. Dissapointing, but it happens.

farmer

wood

I am to diverse in the products I make.
I don't want to cut anything until I know exactly what I am making .
I have some nice woods that I pre cut into different sizes a few years ago . .
Main reason was I didn't have band saw so I had take some of my woods to other shops to get it cut and I tried to think a head and cut some pieces of wood I wished I didn't ..
I can use some of it as inlay or segmenting , but its really a safety hazard because the wood is small and harder to handle then working with blocks or planks .

I have a 14in band saw now and was talking to a guy today that has a old 24 inch band saw he is going to sale ..

I have some huge slabs of burlwood I have been sitting on 20 years ..

I only take off what I am going to use .

Pens might not be as big deal , but on a pool cue or a cane or a native American peace pipe or native American flute you need bigger pieces of wood and if the what ever you are making the woods grain needs to match and be lined up ...

WriteON

The surprise I get is the beauty of the blank. Go's for wood and acrylic. And if I do not like the finished blank it'll get used for something else. I do enjoy a highly figured cocobolo blank. The thrill of the finish. EEE to Hylands friction.

Skie_M

I really don't understand your problem.

The joy of turning the blank is to see what's hidden inside!

Like ... get on the same page with the rest of us, ya know?

firewhatfire

so now that we know, you need to start another thread and post a bunch of pics of cool things you make. :hypnotized:

I am to diverse in the products I make.
I don't want to cut anything until I know exactly what I am making .
I have some nice woods that I pre cut into different sizes a few years ago . .
Main reason was I didn't have band saw so I had take some of my woods to other shops to get it cut and I tried to think a head and cut some pieces of wood I wished I didn't ..
I can use some of it as inlay or segmenting , but its really a safety hazard because the wood is small and harder to handle then working with blocks or planks .

I have a 14in band saw now and was talking to a guy today that has a old 24 inch band saw he is going to sale ..

I have some huge slabs of burlwood I have been sitting on 20 years ..

I only take off what I am going to use .

Pens might not be as big deal , but on a pool cue or a cane or a native American peace pipe or native American flute you need bigger pieces of wood and if the what ever you are making the woods grain needs to match and be lined up ...

More4dan

Lately I've been turning my blanks round between centers prior to drilling. It does give you a peek inside before matching up to a pen kit. They do still change as you continue to turn but it has reduced the number of surprises.

JimB

Wait until you start turning larger items from larger pieces of wood. Then you really get surprises. When I turn logs into bowls I never know what to expect. I often have a bowl shape in mind but then as I remove the wood some great features are uncovered and I change the design so I can keep those features.

Skie_M

Woodturners .....

Probably the only group of people in the world who would openly stand around in a mixed gender crowd admiring someone's crotch out loud without embarrassment.

Girl: "Oh my, what a lovely crotch you have in that bowl!"

Guy: "Yeah, I found it last fall on the side of the road, the power line crew cut the whole tree down and all it cost me was a 12-pack of beer to borrow the neighbor's trailer!"

Girl: "Got any more nice crotches hidden away?"

Guy: "I might, c'mon out back and I'll show you what I gots!"

Like, seriously ... no embarrassment whatsoever. He'll take her straight to the woodpile where he keeps his seconds and off-cuts, and if nothing there satisfies her or piques her interest, he might take her inside the wood shed where he's got some pre-formed bowl blanks all set and ready.

Top Bottom