Hibiscus wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzy

Hi

I have a piece of hibiscus wood and I want to turn it into a pen. Right now it's still drying but the piece is already very light.
It seems to be very fibrous so I think that would be a good idea to stabilize it before turning it.

Anybody already use that kind of wood to make a pen? Was it stabilized?

What would be the best way for me to stabilize it? I don't have a pressure pot but I guess I could soak it for a long time (minwax? plexi + acetone?)

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• hibiscus.jpg
    hibiscus.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 279
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wow... There is a tree stump!

I don't believe you want to stabilize with a pressure pot - probably a vacuum chamber. Maybe finally cut up some blanks and send 5-10 to members who have a cactus juice chamber???

...keep 2 send 8 back? Do a deal!

plantman

I would cut the length you want to use to fit your tubes plus a little extra. Mark centers and turn round. apply thin CA as you turn. When the blanks can be held evenly in a chuck or blank holder, drill your tube holes. Glue in your tubes using gap filling thick CA or epoxy. As you turn to size add more coats of thin CA to stabilize the blanks. Soaking will not stabilize the wood because you need vacuum to pull out the air and replace it with liquid. Jim S

Buzzy

I didn't realize the picture would be misleading about the size of the piece.
Here's another one. I think I'll be lucky if I can get 2 full blanks out of it.

Attachments

• hibiscus2.jpg
    hibiscus2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 154

Buzzy

I would cut the length you want to use to fit your tubes plus a little extra. Mark centers and turn round. apply thin CA as you turn. When the blanks can be held evenly in a chuck or blank holder, drill your tube holes. Glue in your tubes using gap filling thick CA or epoxy. As you turn to size add more coats of thin CA to stabilize the blanks. Soaking will not stabilize the wood because you need vacuum to pull out the air and replace it with liquid. Jim S

It seems there are a lot of fibers in this piece and I'm afraid it'll shred when I'll drill or turn it. That's why I'd like to stabilizing it but I understand that soaking without a vacuum is probably not enough...

rblakemore

I can stabilize for you

Wow - Hibiscus in Canada - I would not expect that!!
I grow a lot of Hibiscus and love them. But, I am in Texas, south of Houston. If you turn without stabilizing then it will probably shred.
I can stabilize for you. If you send to me I will be glad to stabilize and return.

Buzzy

Here's an update.
I let the wood dry and then I cut it into blanks. I only got 2 half-length blanks out of it. Since they weren't as fibrous as I thought they would be, I declined rblakemore generous offer to stabilize them.

Here's a picture of a Sierra pen made with the most interesting blank. It doesn't show much on the picture, but there is some interesting grain/pattern in that piece of wood.

Attachments

• 2014-08-16 - 002.jpg
    2014-08-16 - 002.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 146

rblakemore

Nice job Buzzy!!!
The pen looks quite fine; great job on the style and lines.
Unfortunately you are correct, it is tough to see the grain in your picture.

Davej_07

I did something similar using the rootball from a rose bush which froze out over winter. It was trial and error but I liked the end results.
Dave

Top Bottom