HF Large Bit sets - on sale - which one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

aksarben

OK, HF has three versions of there big bit set.

HS Steel
HS Steel with Ti coating
Cobalt

All three are on sale now, the HS is going for 29.00, I think the Ti set was 35.00 and Cobalt for 99.00.

I would like to buy one of the sets, I have discounted the Ti set as not really worth it and am focused on the HSS and Cobalt.

My question is, is the Cobalt worth the extra cost or should I stick with the HSS.

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

For the price difference, I wouldn't buy the cobalt. Cobalt steel, I think, is harder and will hold an edge better, but may be more difficult to sharpen. I have the TiN set and a Drill Doctor and have been very pleased with both.

Randy_

If you are only going to be drilling wood, and other softer materials, I would agree with Gerry that the HSS set should be just fine. And I would also agree that investing in a Drill Doctor is an excellent decision. OTOH, if you are an active handyman/homeowner and anticipate drilling a lot of metal, I would bite the bullet and get the cobalt set.

BTW, I just noticed that there is an eBay listing for a DD 750X(the preferred model) with a Buy-It-Now price of $120 and free shipping. As I recall, this is about as good a price as you will ever see although I won't mind being corrected if someone knows of a better price!!

Originally posted by aksarben
<br />OK, HF has three versions of there big bit set.

HS Steel
HS Steel with Ti coating
Cobalt

All three are on sale now, the HS is going for 29.00, I think the Ti set was 35.00 and Cobalt for 99.00.

I would like to buy one of the sets, I have discounted the Ti set as not really worth it and am focused on the HSS and Cobalt.

My question is, is the Cobalt worth the extra cost or should I stick with the HSS.

Scott
Sorry, this isn't the answer to your question.

I can't say that the Ti coating on HSS is worth $10 more, but this Ti coated HSS set is a split point set. Some prefer split points.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32928

aksarben

I am looking at it mainly for wood pens in particular, but being a homeowner you never know what I may need to drill.

Humm, just more thoughts to ponder.

I do have a drill doctor and plan to use it to keep the bits up.

I guess right now I am leaning towards the cheap set.

Thanks
Scott

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher
<br />
Sorry, this isn't the answer to your question.

I can't say that the Ti coating on HSS is worth $10 more, but this Ti coated HSS set is a split point set. Some prefer split points.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32928

I've got the DD 750dx so I can take care of these bits, so I ordered me some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom