Herringbone glue-up, How?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

handplane

I saw this pen and want to make something similar.
GVFC_ebay_Pen2008_FP_4s.jpg

I know how to make the herringbone pattern but not how to make it so it looks the same all the way around. Is there a trick to this or am I going to have to make lots of little pieces, glue them to the tubes and then cast it. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW that's the Graff von Faber Castell 2008 pen of the year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

You are aspiring to herringbone version 4.5 and that is way beyond me. I can explain herringbone version 1.0. Maybe that will give you a start for what you want to do. Try this:

Start with a little wood cube turned on an edge, about 3/4 inch cube would be about right. See figure one on the illustration.

Cut a bunch of small slices from 3/4 inch blanks, cut them about 1/8 inch thick or so. See figure two. These can be the same wood, contrasting wood, whatever you like. Glue and stack the little slices on the cube until you get it the legnth of the blank you need.

When you have it glued up as long as you want it, cut on the dotted lines and you have a herringbone blank

Attachments

• herringbone.JPG
    herringbone.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 331

handplane

Thanks, I guess I'm on the right track because that was one of my ideas.

My wife always makes the comment that I try the hardest things first. Easy is boring. I have to challenge myself to keep my interest up.

PaulDoug

Help. I just don't get it. Is there atutorial for this? Maybe more pictures. Guess I could just start cutting and maybe it would come to me.

handplane

As soon as I get a chance I'll post a screen shot from the sketch-up drawing that I've been working on. I think I have it figured out, on paper. Now the fun, actually making it.

TribalRR

Herringbone Glue-up

Here are some pictures of one I made after seeing that same pen. Let me know if you get stuck.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 760
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 773

TribalRR

That tutorial is for a standard herringbone, not the wrap around pattern. The sides of those are flat and the wrap around looks the same from every side.

mikemac

well... looking at the individual SIZES of each piece of wood, it looks like he's gluing up very small slabs... mayb 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/8" giving that size, the blank would end up having 2+ rows of herring bone.. allowing the pattern to go 'all around'

Maybe I'll fire up 3dsmax, and try making a virtual blank to confirm.

Just my 2 cents.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Will also work with veneer and a little planning. This one is a 360 degree pattern.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• HBClosed.jpg
    HBClosed.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:

Darley

I saw this pen and want to make something similar.
GVFC_ebay_Pen2008_FP_4s.jpg

I know how to make the herringbone pattern but not how to make it so it looks the same all the way around. Is there a trick to this or am I going to have to make lots of little pieces, glue them to the tubes and then cast it. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW that's the Graff von Faber Castell 2008 pen of the year.

Nice pen, do you know where to fine this kit? if he can be found

TribalRR

There is not a kit for that pen nor is there anything close that I have found. That pen's MSRP is $3000 BTW...

I started with 3/16" thick triangles and went from there...
I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in doing a tutorial or telling exactly how to make this. However I will help you get started and if you make attempts and get stuck I will give help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom