Here is something I found interesting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something to get the creative juices flowing.

213-8001.jpg

http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=213-8001

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
At that price with the kit, tubes glued in and ready for assembly it ahas to be from China or Tiawan.
It don't makes sense to turn em at that price.
Anyone want a lot of Maple cigars?

Rifleman1776

Very interesting. I appreciate your posting. The 10K is actually a premium plating compared to 24K. I think this item reveals the large profit margin on the kits we buy from most of the suppliers.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Very interesting. I appreciate your posting. The 10K is actually a premium plating compared to 24K. I think this item reveals the large profit margin on the kits we buy from most of the suppliers.

Yes, an interesting post. No reason why some of our artistic types couldn't incorporate wood-burning into the pens they make.

However Frank, I don't think those of us who sell pens can talk about large profit margins if we take just the cost of components into consideration.

FWIW,

Maybe I should have made myself more clear.

I'm not saying anyone should run out and buy these kits. I was thinking it may give thought to someone about burning a design on to a pen of your own kits and materials.

FWIW these are CSUSA kits, Treeline is owned by the same family.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
<br />Very interesting. I appreciate your posting. The 10K is actually a premium plating compared to 24K. I think this item reveals the large profit margin on the kits we buy from most of the suppliers.

Yes, an interesting post. No reason why some of our artistic types couldn't incorporate wood-burning into the pens they make.

However Frank, I don't think those of us who sell pens can talk about large profit margins if we take just the cost of components into consideration.

FWIW,

My comparison is complete pens priced from about $2 to $7 when we pay $8 to $15 for kits. Of course, we don't know much about the pens but Treeline has a top drawer reputation with wood carvers, unlikely they are selling junk.

<br />
My comparison is complete pens priced from about $2 to $7 when we pay $8 to $15 for kits. Of course, we don't know much about the pens but Treeline has a top drawer reputation with wood carvers, unlikely they are selling junk.

This is an example why threads turn ugly.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
<br />

This is an example why threads turn ugly.

Ron, Frank raises a valid point.
The cost of the kit and the tubes glued in, I assume being milled turned and SANDED for that price?
I haven't bought a cigar kit lately but what is the cost of a 10k cigar kit?
I don't think raising a question such as franks means the thread is turning ugly.
I understood the motive behind your post"creative juices"
The cost of the product being offered tool precedence.
I just checked, the retail cost of that kit is $7.00
I hope the listing on the link provided is a typo.

This thread COULD turn ugly if the phrase "sweat shop labor" came into play.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Guys,

You can buy the kit for $4.50 from CSUSA if you buy 100. I trust they are still making a profit (I might even argue an OBSCENE profit, but that's another thread) So, add a chunk of wood (Maple sells for $4. a board foot in my neck of the woods - about $0.16 per pen blank) and you are still profitable at $7. Especially if you incorporate the aforeunmentionable "sweat shop labor".

This assumes, Frank, that Tree Line is using the same kits that CSUSA sells as their Americana line, 10kt. gold.

Yes, Ron, I got the original impetus of your post. Next year, I hope to play with sandblasting and incorporating "woodburning". Trouble is, that looks like it takes talent, not just the ability to cut wood (or plastic) off on a lathe. Don't yet know if I am qualified!!!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Actually, Ron, your original post got my creative juices flowing in a different direction. I knew that CS USA owned Treeline and my creative juices got to flowing about the scathing letter I was going to write to Ben and company. They sell us kits and then go into business selling a virtually finished product at an absurd price point. Now that I've read some replies, I see that I should have read the post differently. Yes, woodburning, carving and other endeavours should be interlaced in our pen turning arsenal. But I sure am mad as H_ll at the CS USA boys right now.

PenWorks

I bought one of the woodburing kits in Provo this year when I stopped at Treeline, I think Mike bought one as well. You haven't seen any pyrography pens out of our shops have you ? That's because it is an art form unto its self. I am still practicing and have not come up with something worth showing [:(!]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
We had the treeline booth across from our turning club at the Atlanta wood show last January, nice bunch of guys. We have had their catalog for over a year, with that item in it. I would only buy that kit in order to do carving or burning on, because the kit and wood is rather "plain". I am not sure about the folks here, but I dont want to sell a bunch of prefab stuff, that is plain. I have seen some beautiful stuff out on this site, and a prefab pen shouldnt scare one person here. I look at that pen as a blank canvas, that someone should do something with, not a finished product....Now with the embellishments that they put on the pen in the first picture, it would make a nice pen. I would venture a guess, that if anyone here has done woodburining like that for say a duck decoy or other bird, they know that burning like that is tedious and VERY time consuming and an art itself.

For those of you who have been thinking of doing the carving or burning, it is just an investment into another set of tools, and gaining the knowledge to do it, it is fun and very addicting, but makes a nice little cross market in pens......It would also make a great canvas for a neat laser pattern.....

Originally from Treeline's website
Barrels included with this pen kit are such that we recommend woodburning only.

To assemble the pen, all you need is standard bench vise or “quick grip†type clamp. Instructions included.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Actually, Ron, your original post got my creative juices flowing in a different direction. I knew that CS USA owned Treeline and my creative juices got to flowing about the scathing letter I was going to write to Ben and company. They sell us kits and then go into business selling a virtually finished product at an absurd price point. Now that I've read some replies, I see that I should have read the post differently. Yes, woodburning, carving and other endeavours should be interlaced in our pen turning arsenal. But I sure am mad as H_ll at the CS USA boys right now.

Competition like this is nothing new.
You are going to lose every time when you try to compete against something like this.

I was shopping with my kids this past weekend at this artsy-fartsy town that has a bunch of artsy-fartsy stores. In one artsy-fartsy store there is a artsy-fartsy bucket full of artsy-fartsy wooden pens ranging from 99¢ to $5.00.

The 99¢ artsy-fartsy pens is a twig with 1" worth of a Bic ink tube inserted in a hole.

The $5.00 artsy-fartsy pens looked like a Euro but with really thin metal clip which looked like it would break if you tried to use it. These pens were laser engraved with the artsy-fartsy town's name on the lower barrel.

You should have seen the look on the face of artsy-fartsy store owner when I pulled the bic tube out of the artsy-fartsy twig pen. I tossed a buck on her artsy-fartsy counter and tossed the pen in her artsy-fartsy trash can. I told her the look on her face was worth a buck.

For some reason my wife rushed me out of the artsy-fartsy store.

Back to my original intent.

If you are not planning on making artsy-fartsy pens and are looking for something to make your style different, this may be something to think about.

bob393

Thank you.
It does make you think.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ron You are comparing apples to ortamges.
It is a cigar kit CSUSA RETAILS for $6.00
Wityh the wood and tube TURNED and sanded they are selling it for $7.00(some assembly required.
Either they are gouging the publiuc selling the kits for $6.00
Would you
cut
drill
glue
mill
turn
sand a blank for a buck a piece?
I am not saying they are competing with what I make, but they are either using sweat shop labor or are gouging on the kits.

rtgleck

Just a thought.. There is a possibility, because of proximity and the relation of the two companies that this is an Offer that they threw together (I know the CSU guys turn as well) to let the Carvers/Wood burners try something new. Eagle has pointed out before than Pen turners aren't always woodworkers in any other fashion. Likely is the same with a wood carver or wood burner. This may just be something they are seeing if they can assist a Wood Burner or Carver in branching out to try something new.... and with what Ron had posted, possibly getting a Pen turner to try wood burning or carving on there pen. Just a though, but either way, it is a nice pen to get you thinking of trying other things on the pen.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm with you, Ron. It's always fun to borrow ideas and then do something with them to make it my own. Thanks for posting...and sorry I missed your intent. [8D]

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />I am not saying they are competing with what I make, but they are either using sweat shop labor or are gouging on the kits.

When I hear this type of argument, I like to ask "Can you get the kits cheaper and then sell them at a cheaper price?" If you can, then do it. It's the American Way!

Or is it possible there are more costs involved in selling thousands of pen kits each year?

I'm sure the people working at CSUSA like to take home a paycheck, get a couple of weeks vacation each year, holidays off and even health insurance. How do you think CSUSA can afford to do this? You need to pay your staff if you want to keep them working for you. Also, exemplary Customer Service costs money. What about building expenses, phone lines, catalogs, mailing those catalogs? Should I go on? I never understood why people sometimes get upset when others are making a good profit.

Personally I'm happy CSUSA is making a good profit. That means that they will be in business for years to come.

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I'm with you, Ron. It's always fun to borrow ideas and then do something with them to make it my own. Thanks for posting...and sorry I missed your intent. [8D]

Thank you Lou, you just made my day!

LanceD

There are some people on this forum who paints designs, flowers and scenes on their pens. I think these pens would be great for those that do or for those that want to start painting designs. They would make good practice pens to start on before moving on over to more expensive kits.

Randy_

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />.....Personally I'm happy CSUSA is making a good profit. That means that they will be in business for years to come.

What Ron says, makes good sense to me. It always struck me as a little incongruous that the same guys who complains about the big companies gouging on their pen kits, are the same ones who buys those kits, spends a few minutes with them in the shop and then want to sell them for $40. Seems to me that it just depends which side of the fence you are sitting on??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom