Here is a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It seems to me that the Sierra and clones all use a 27/64 tube and that people have some problems with blowout turning near the ends of the blank when turning barrels - why not reduce the size of the tube to say 3/8th or 10mm and leave the components the same as now except for smaller press fits adding a little beef to the ends of the barrels without increasing the overall size of the pen? I'm sure the internal components would work

Maybe someone has already done this but if they have I don't know what kit it would be.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

Not sure if it's exacly your line of thinking, but the Artisan Aero at CSUSA uses a 23/64" bit and it is a pretty close look to the Sierra/Wallstreet style.

Artisan Aero Pen Kit | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

art_aer_pen_kit_ros_gol.jpg

Dan Masshardt

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm aware of the Aero but It is smaller - I don't know how much smaller because I've never seen an Aero --- have to get someone to send me one for my collection. It is also more along the lines of the "elegant" type sets. I'm thinking of both standard and elegant types.
Not sure if it's exacly your line of thinking, but the Artisan Aero at CSUSA uses a 23/64" bit and it is a pretty close look to the Sierra/Wallstreet style.

Artisan Aero Pen Kit | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

art_aer_pen_kit_ros_gol.jpg

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I really ask this because in today's environment blowing a blank can be a big expense with the High $$$ blanks we now see a lot of.

thewishman

I would love to have some styles that have more "meat" on the barrel. Besides the Vista (and the Spring Blossom) there are not many good options for showcasing cast embedded items. Something besides a Sierra clone, though - a Cigar clone would be great!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I really ask this because in today's environment blowing a blank can be a big expense with the High $$$ blanks we now see a lot of.

For me, possible cracking is the bigger concern with very thin blanks.
I think a Sierra could go as small as 9.5mm tubes with no problem and probably to 9mm. with the same size overall. Just more beef on the turned tube.

I do not see why a lot of the kits do not use smaller tubes giving the turner more material left. What is the sense of a large tube when the only thing that goes in it is a rollerball or ball point refill. The smaller tube would make painting the inside of the blank or the tube less critical on acrylic type blanks. The only advantage of the larger tube would be in the casting of tubes with art, watch parts etc.

Pjohnson

Smitty - Very timely post. I was having trouble with the 10mm blowing out when turning the Classic Vintage kit. I dropped down to the 25/64th and had much better succcess. That teeny bit seemed to make a difference for me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Weight of the pen. Thicker bodies mean more weight.

That was my first thought as well, but I don't think the tubes need to be shrunk enough to add an appreciable amount of weight. As a bonus, we might not have to backpaint quite as many blanks. That might require a little more meat, though.
I agree if the tube were taken from current all the way to 9mm it would increase the thickness by only 1.71mm
I just weighed a Gatsby style together with no blank and a finished (in wood) Gatsby style on my postal scale. the difference was .1 ounces. Adding that much more would hardly be noticed (In my opinion). Yet it would mean a large increase in the thickness of the blank material.

My personal experience probably doesn't reflect everyone's, but when I damage a blank it is usuall at one of the ends and usually when the barrel material has gotten very thin near the end of the turning.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A quick glance at a Cigar and it doesn't look to me like reducing the diameter of the blank would be that difficult...
I would love to have some styles that have more "meat" on the barrel. Besides the Vista (and the Spring Blossom) there are not many good options for showcasing cast embedded items. Something besides a Sierra clone, though - a Cigar clone would be great!

Top Bottom